Donnington Castle fairytale HDR

DaveH

Hi again. It's been a relatively nice day here in the UK for a change, so I jumped in the car and drove 20 miles to a local landmark, the remains of Donnington Castle in Newbury, UK. I've never tried a HDR before so was determined to give it a go.
It was quite busy with lots of kids about, so I had to wait a while to squeeze off the 6 shots which make up this shot.... from -2 to +3 EV on my D90.
As it's a castle I've gone for a more saturated fairytale-HDR-look. Hope you like it!
Dave donnington.jpg

fotojack

I'm not known as a big HDR fan....but this is nice. I like it. It's not overdone like I've seen a lot of others. Great subject to shoot, too. It lends itself well to this type of photography. Well done.

DaveH

Thanks for the nice comments everyone, I'm quite impressed with HDR, it creates an interesting look even in B&W. Note to self though, next time I must go shooting on a weekday - there were way too many kids playing hide and seek on a Saturday. I had to wait until they 'hid' :)

Browncoat

Nicely done, Dave.

I think you cooked the HDR at just the right temperature for this type of shot. The tonal range on the castle is spectacular! The envelope has been pushed a little far here for my personal taste with the intense saturation of the grass, but it works well. What a great opportunity to shoot something so cool!

The only suggestion for improvement I have is cleaning up those dirt clods in Photoshop. To me at least, it looks like some of the moor wanderers have left behind some unpleasantness, if you catch my drift. Maybe some leftovers from the fortnight's jousting tournament?

DaveH

The only suggestion for improvement I have is cleaning up those dirt clods in Photoshop. To me at least, it looks like some of the moor wanderers have left behind some unpleasantness, if you catch my drift. Maybe some leftovers from the fortnight's jousting tournament?

Ha ha! I know, holy moley. There were loads of mole-hills everywhere, the little blighters must have been having ye olde field day! :) I think I'll do what you suggested and run it thru PS to get rid of the mud hills. Cheers.

Xtc

Hi Dave,

great photo, I am reopening a pub in Donnington very shortly and would love to have this pic on the wall.

would you be happy for me to use it for this purpose?

if you could e-mail me at [email protected] that would be great.

Thanks

Chris

bechdan

right thats given me motivation to get some hdrs done of local castles, there are plenty in north wales so Ive no excuse. Good work that man.