The Included Software

Flash Pot

I usually don not install the software that is bundled with the point and shoot cameras I have bought. That being said, should I install the Nikon ViewNX2 that came with my D3100?

480sparky

I use it to ingest, keyword, star rate, and other front-end editing jobs. Editing is done with Capture.

I like the ability to ingest to two directories, and add certain keywords to all images being ingested. And the software keeps track of images already ingested, so you don't have to worry about duplication.

480sparky

Good deal.

I am now looking for a CHEAP and easy to use standard photo editing program.

VNX is really not a good editing program. Yeah, you can make simple edits, and create JPEGs from NEFs, but it's very crippled when it comes to serious editing. You may want to look into it's big brother, Capture NX-D, or their granddaddy, Capture NX-2.

Last edited:

Blacktop

I used the bundled software at first, but I never really got used to it.. Then I got Lightroom 5 and I'm much happier with it.
I tried Picasa once after I had Lightroom, but I just didn't care for it that much. It's a fine editing tool for being free, it was just something I didn't like about it. Maybe it was the user interface, I don't really recall.

Give it a try, it's free and you may like it.

Krs_2007

If yo want to get used to something standard then go with LR. The standard software for nikon is pretty good, just a little different than other packages.

Jonathan

Not sure how Snapseed compares with the Big Boys, but it's pretty cheap and easy to use. I started with it, and still occasionally revert to it. I have it on my iPad and Mac.