At last my first Infrared pics

Englischdude

As some of you may know I have been waiting impatiently for my converted D70 to arrive. It finally arrived yesterday and today I managed to get out and try it out. I know it is not the best time of the year with the sun not being so strong and not much foliage on the trees, however I was really impressed. The possibilities with the post processing are endless. I use GIMP, if anyone has any tips it would be appreciated. Here a few pics:

17719381fe.jpg

17719353ur.jpg

17719350vs.jpg

Last edited:

DraganDL

Good job, this conversion. Now, you've only need to find the right situations - the sceneries that would really require such type of "capturing". In my opinion, only the bicyclist came out perfectly, in terms of the color balance and light balance - others are rather too bright, with most of the objects merging/melting one onto another.

BackdoorArts

What wavelength conversion did you get? Have you white balanced since receiving it or are you shooting on Auto WB? Can you channel swap with GIMP.

Englischdude

What wavelength conversion did you get? Have you white balanced since receiving it or are you shooting on Auto WB? Can you channel swap with GIMP.

Hi Jake,
i set the WB to auto, however I was shooting in RAW so played with the WB in post. I got a 700nm conversion. Since posting these pics I have had a play with processing the photos in Rawtherapee which seems to give me somehow much better results. I tried channel swapping also using gimp. When changing the red channel (r=0 b=100) it looked fine, but when I tried to swap the blue channel (r=100 b=0) the image looked very blue. Dont know why. I use Linux Mint 15 with GIMP.

Englischdude

hmm, just tried a couple of the same photos from last night in RAWTHERAPEE for Linux, this program seems to render the IR photos much beter than GIMP, which is rather odd! Here an example.

17724374eg.jpg

BackdoorArts

Hi Jake,
i set the WB to auto, however I was shooting in RAW so played with the WB in post. I got a 700nm conversion. Since posting these pics I have had a play with processing the photos in Rawtherapee which seems to give me somehow much better results. I tried channel swapping also using gimp. When changing the red channel (r=0 b=100) it looked fine, but when I tried to swap the blue channel (r=100 b=0) the image looked very blue. Dont know why. I use Linux Mint 15 with GIMP.

Yes, you can always WB from RAW, but I've found that aiming at something alive and green, and grass in particular, and using like a grey card to set the white balance helps me start in a good place and get a more consistent look to my shots.

I'm absolutely unfamiliar with GIMP other than to say that I tried it twice, if only to be able to speak to it, and it frustrated me to the point of uninstalling it. I'm not saying it's not a decent or even good program, just that it was so different from what I have that it wasn't worth investing the time in learning it when I had alternatives already installed.

On thing I've found is that when I'm shooting IR in direct sunlight I need to set my exposure compensation to -0.7 to -1.3 or I get blown out leaves and grass, particularly when there's a mix of sun and shadows. It looks like you're getting the same in some of your shots. Otherwise it meters fairly well.

Keep it up!!