Newbie From New York. Needs Help!!!

In_Training

Hello everyone. The name is Ancil, i am from upstate ny and i currently own the D40 & D70s. I have no idea on how to use the cameras besides the point and shoot auto mode. I am really looking to learn how to adjust the settings and find out what all the settings mean. The next camera on my list is the d7000, but before i get such a powerful cam I need to learn on the ones i have and i know this site has tons of info. So any feedback would be great.

Rick M

Welcome aboard Ancil! You have 2 great cameras to learn on! I have the D3100 but there are plenty of knowledgeable people here with your models and I'm sure will help with any questions. I'm from Upstate NY also (near Syracuse), can't wait for all this darn snow to melt so I can get out more with my camers!

Joseph Bautsch

Ancil, welcome to the Nikonites Community. Ranie is right. There are a lot of things to learn simply by sitting down with the camera and the users manual and working through it page by page. The Nikon manuals start out with the easy parts first and work their way into the more complex features. The manual discusses all of the features of the camera but the explanations are short on details and depth. If you get stuck on something ask the question here. There are a lot of experienced members that have used the D40 and D70 who can help you out. There are also a lot of videos on UTube on both of these cameras that will be of help as well. It's also recommended that you post some of your shots in the Photo Critique Forum for review. We can give you pointers on composition and making post processing adjustments. You have a good start on your profile. Add your cameras, lenses and any other camera equipment you are using. That way we know what you are working with and you don't have to repeat it every time you post something. Welcome aboard.

Curt

Welcome to the site Ancil, my advice would be to find the Blue Crane Digital video on your camera and watch it a few times, also read your manual cover to cover :).

Ruidoso Bill

I still wish I had gotten a D70, solid camera and outstanding candidate for eventual IR conversion. I can't add much to what everyone else has suggested except there are many on line resources for free that discuss the magic triangle of ISO, Shutter and Aperture. Spend some time with these then shoot, shoot and shoot some more taking the time to analyze the results. Good luck and looking forward to seeing your work. WE can help here.

Last edited:

fotojack

Everything the others said. Read the manual cover to cover, take a ton of pictures, Learn as you shoot. Believe me, there is no easy, instant, magic, secret way to learn your DSLR, except to take the advice you've been given. Before you know it, you'll be taking the pictures you want. You have two very good cameras there to practice on. Pick one of them, and learn it. Like you said yourself.....you need to learn the onjes you have before you move on to a more powerful cam. :) Happy shooting, and welcome to Nikonites.

jengajoh

Welcome!
Reading the manual is boring. :)

This forum has been very helpful to me, also very motivating and inspiring. Everyone here is very nice. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

johnwartjr

Welcome, Ancil. Don't let the depth and complexity overwhelm you. Start small and work your way up. Learn the basics one at a time and apply them in a layered approach. It'll be fine, and will be a lot of fun!

jmaas

Hello,
I am also from Upstate Ny. I am no professional, every photo I have taken has been a learning experience, thats the great thing about digital you can mess up alot. Just start taking photos try every setting mess with the shutter speed and the f stop. I put mine on manual and havent changed it since. Have fun.