On my way home from work this evening ....

BillinAnchorage

I think it would be nice if the trees were in focus, too ... but I didn't have a tripod and F22 would have been too slow to hand hold.

Attachments

• feb11.jpg
    feb11.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 232
Last edited by a moderator:

ohkphoto

Snow White
Gorgeous sky, Bill, and very nice shot! Is there any particular reason that you want to keep so much of the foreground? The horizon bisects the photo and to me is very distracting. If you crop just above the fenceline (about half of the foreground), I think it would draw the eyes to that beautiful glow on the snow by the figures, and tie everything nicely together.Just my opinion.

Excellent capture, especially without a tripod. Thank you for sharing.

Best Regards

fotojack

Great colours in there, Bill. And I have to agree with Helene on this one. A good crop would do wonders for the focal point of this otherwise great shot. Thanks for sharing, bud. Could you share the EXIF data with us? I'm curious to know what settings were used for this shot. :)

Joseph Bautsch

Hi Bill and good shot. I also have to agree with Helene. There is a little too much foreground. Splitting the shot in half with the foreground is distracting. Bring the horizon down to the lower third of the shot. That will make the sky and setting sun more dominate and attract the greater part of the viewers attention. Also why do you think the shrubs (trees) in the foreground have to be in focus? They have a very dominate presence in the shot and putting them in focus will draw attention away from the setting sun and sky. Being out of focus they work to frame the subject while at the same time deflecting the attention to the setting sun. I also do a lot of scenic shooting and am always interested in what settings were used. Let us know what camera settings (EXIF data) was used? Also the colors are great, what was your White Balance? Filters? I should also point out that for scenic shooting a tripod will do more for picture sharpness than f/22 will. With most lenses the best sharpness is achieved between f/11 and f/18. Above f/18 light starts refracting around the shutter blades in the lens and actually decreases sharpness. Below f/11 the depth of field starts falling off.

Last edited:

Browncoat

Awesome sky!

And yes, I agree with the others. I'm definitely not a "by the rules" kind of guy, but one that always works is the Rule of Thirds. Your D90 has an option to turn on a grid in the viewfinder which makes setting up shots like this a snap!

BillinAnchorage

I was standing on a bluff over looking the inlet. This is the cleanest shot I had through the trees. I added a little saturation during PP on my laptop. Later I went to my desk top computer and looked at what I posted and I'm like .. WOW ... it probably didn't need any saturation. LOL

Ruidoso Bill

I love the colors of the shot and it just gives a feeling of privacy, and lonliness, isolation also comes to mind. I'm not sure reducing the foreground is what I'd do, if cropped maybe the branches will look more artifical than the natural appearance they currently have.

Gosh it looks cold...

jengajoh

I like the amount of foreground you show, it's like a painting. Half purple-ish blue and half orange-ish yellow... opposites. I am a big fan of color, I love it! I do kind of want the trees in the foreground to be in focus, but maybe it wasn't ideal without a tripod. :) Good job!