Formatting an additional external

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
What interface are you using? USB 2.0 is rather slow. Are you formatting NTFS, HFS, etc? Windows or Mac? I'd ask for your EXIF, but. . . . :D

Ruidoso Bill

USB 2.0, NTFS (I actually considered going to FAT32) just did a transfer job to a Mcbook pro and realized NTFS won't work, I just had two smaller drivers one hold web sites I've done and one holding photos and wanted to consolidate, get do burn some dvd's today.

The 1.5 to 2.0 TB drives are getting so cheap. I even saw an enclosure that can hold two drives and be clones, nice setup. I also thought of using SATA docking stations.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Bill: Check out NTFS for Mac. I format all of my drives NTFS since I use both a Mac and a PC. Highly recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruidoso Bill

That wasn't for me Anthony, I am a Windows user, Eduard had asked the question concerning format. I am also all thumbs with a mac, I get a few calls per year for some tech help.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnwartjr

I got a couple Fantom branded 2 TB external USB 2.0 / eSATA drives for around $100 each. The drives in the enclosure are Samsungs I believe.

I started off with USB 2.0, but then picked up an eSATA card and the speed increase was very nice.

I considered a Drobo, but that doesn't get me an 'off site' copy. My wife works for a bank and we get a safety deposit box as a freebie. I'm going to place one of the drives in it and once a month or so, swap them out.