Hello!

ChrisM

I've been lurking here for a bit but thought i'd introduce myself. My name is Chris. I'm currently living in Charleston, SC. I just got my first DSLR this past week as an early Valentine's Day gift from my hubby .... a Nikon D3100. I'm very new to DSLRs, but not to Nikon. I've owned a few Nikon P&S cameras. Just thought i'd say hi!

I added a couple of pics to the gallery. I've been getting braver with my camera and taking it off auto mode. I'm still learning, so don't be harsh, but constructive criticism is welcome. ;)

Last edited:

fotojack

Welcome to the forums, Chris. :) I think you'll have a great time here, with lots of enthusiastic people like yourself that own the D3100. Nice camera. But don't sell the Auto mode short. Use it to learn the ins and outs of the f stops, shutter speeds, etc. It's all there in your viewfinder every time you take a shot. Then once you feel comfortable with it, you can jump to the more manual modes. The main thing is to have fun with it and take lots of pictures. Best way to learn any camera. :)

Rick M

Welcome aboard Chris, I've had my D3100 a couple months now and love it, so much more than a P&S! Like Jack said, there are lots of nice people here to help and evaluate your work.

Joseph Bautsch

Hi Chris and welcome to the Nikonites Community. If you would please complete your profile with a little information about yourself, your camera, lens and any other photo equipment you may be using. It makes it easier for us to know who we are talking to and what equipment you have to work with. I saw the two shots in your gallery, good shooting. The little boy, I assume is yours, looks to be in a little distress from his wound. A picture that tells a story, good capture. The shot of the bird is also good, love it's color. There are a lot of friendly folks here, experienced with the D3100 that can answer your questions. Just jump right in and ask. Welcome aboard.

ChrisM

Welcome to the forums, Chris. :) I think you'll have a great time here, with lots of enthusiastic people like yourself that own the D3100. Nice camera. But don't sell the Auto mode short. Use it to learn the ins and outs of the f stops, shutter speeds, etc. It's all there in your viewfinder every time you take a shot. Then once you feel comfortable with it, you can jump to the more manual modes. The main thing is to have fun with it and take lots of pictures. Best way to learn any camera. :)

Thanks! I have actually been using the Auto mode to figure things out. I usually shoot first in auto, look at the settings, then flip to manual and adjust the settings from there.

ChrisM

Hi Chris and welcome to the Nikonites Community. If you would please complete your profile with a little information about yourself, your camera, lens and any other photo equipment you may be using. It makes it easier for us to know who we are talking to and what equipment you have to work with. I saw the two shots in your gallery, good shooting. The little boy, I assume is yours, looks to be in a little distress from his wound. A picture that tells a story, good capture. The shot of the bird is also good, love it's color. There are a lot of friendly folks here, experienced with the D3100 that can answer your questions. Just jump right in and ask. Welcome aboard.

Yes, that is my youngest son and I loved his expression in the photo. He's one of my favorite subjects. I always get really good photos of him.

Ruidoso Bill

Hello Chris and welcome to Nikonites! Glad you found us and hope you find the site an asset in developing your photography skills. I doubt anyone here would be to harsh so jump in, enjoy and learn.