D5200 with SB910 off camera

Richard Frewin

Hi all

I'm just finding my way around the SB-910 which is being used with the Nikon D5200. I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't have full Nikon CLS functionality, but didn't know what other peoples experience of using it off camera was like?

I understand that the built in flash can be setup to control the SB910 when using off camera, but I've not had any luck finding any information on this. Can anyone point me to any resources that describe this.

If anyone can share their experience of this, i'd be very grateful!

Many thanks all
Richard

WayneF

The D5200 camera does not have a Commander to control the remote flash. Models like D7100 and up do have it.

There are a few other ways however.

1. The SB-910 has a Commander in it, and on the hot shoe, it could control another one remotely. However, the D5100 also does not have the FV Lock feature, which is often needed.

The other choices are Manual flash mode.

2. You could put the remote SB-910 into SU-4 mode (which is manual flash), and the camera internal flash into Manual mode (even at low power level), and the camera flash (or any other manual flash) would trigger it.

3. You could provide a radio trigger (transmitter in hot shoe, receiver on flash foot) and do Manual flash that way.

4. A PC sync cord would work too, if you added the Nikon AS-15 hot shoe adapter to provide PC sync on the D5200.