Macro Photography

eummagic

What extra gear I require by spending less cost for macro photography. As I have invested almost for 18-55 + 55-300mm lens and ofcourse D3100. I read about using extension tubes for macro photography. So, can anyone suggest whether this method is correct or to go for a specific type of lens @ what price?

Ruidoso Bill

There are some members here that use extension tubes, I recall someone using the tubes and a 50 mm. Most will buy a macro lens, 60 - 105mm are common. Lots of folks buy the Nikkor 60 mm used, I use a signma 105 which I bought used for $300 or so, I think I've seen the nikkor 60 for $300 - $400 US.

eummagic

Thanks for the info...Can you pls explain the quality using between extension tubes vs specific lenses. As Iam on a tight budget, can extension tubes give equal quality like specific lenses and btw does it cost cheaper? I see a few listed in Amazon, but before hand want to make sure whether these suit my 18-55mm lens. Pls advise...

eummagic

Thanks...I read from your post that there are contacts built in for the Autofocus to work. Say, I connect extension tube without the built in contacts, in that case should I use the manual focus ring or it won't work with the 18-55mm lens? pls advise....

PavementPilot

With G lenses, you can not shoot without power to the lens. You can not control the aperture manually on the lens. You will need to have AF-S tubes.

PavementPilot

If you find an older lens that has the aperture ring on the lens, you can mount it to a non AF-S tube and mount that to the D3100. You will have no meters, so you will need to shoot in Manual, and read the histogram to get to the right exposure. Your EXIF will be missing data, so you will need to keep a shooters log, tracking the shot # with the f/stop used. Your EXIF will also be missing the focal length of the lens used. I currently have a Series E 50mm f/1.8 that I shoot with. It is trial and error and reading the histogram to get the right exposure. It would be no different than what I have outlined above.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm not sure if they have a similar approach in India, but in the U.S. Tamron sponsors events where they allow you to use their lenses and get instruction from a professional photographer. I attended a macro themed event a few years ago and it was time well spent!

More info: Events, Photo Division, Tamron USA, Inc.

eummagic

If you find an older lens that has the aperture ring on the lens, you can mount it to a non AF-S tube and mount that to the D3100. You will have no meters, so you will need to shoot in Manual, and read the histogram to get to the right exposure. Your EXIF will be missing data, so you will need to keep a shooters log, tracking the shot # with the f/stop used. Your EXIF will also be missing the focal length of the lens used. I currently have a Series E 50mm f/1.8 that I shoot with. It is trial and error and reading the histogram to get the right exposure. It would be no different than what I have outlined above.
Thank you once again for this info....I will first try Amazon for any cheap deals or else as advised by you go for the old lens + non-afs tube combo...
I'm not sure if they have a similar approach in India, but in the U.S. Tamron sponsors events where they allow you to use their lenses and get instruction from a professional photographer. I attended a macro themed event a few years ago and it was time well spent!

More info: Events, Photo Division, Tamron USA, Inc.
Thanks, I doubt whether we get Tamron in India, but I have seen many professionals using Sigma lenses.

PavementPilot

I dont think they are AF-S, also in the reviews, there is comments about the autofocus not working. Also there are 2 comments about the 36mm tube locking onto the lens and not being able to separate them. I havent used tubes, but others have said Kenko tubes work good.

PavementPilot

I dont think the Phottix tubes wil work either. If you look at the pictures, you can see the AF focus tab sticking out, so I think it is for AF or AF-D only. Also, I couldnt see the aperture guide inside the body of the tube. G lenses wouldnt work then.

PavementPilot

Ranie

I dont think the Phottix tubes wil work either. If you look at the pictures, you can see the AF focus tab sticking out, so I think it is for AF or AF-D only. Also, I couldnt see the aperture guide inside the body of the tube. G lenses wouldnt work then.

Phottix tubes will work because I have tried it. And with the kit lens which is an AF-S lens, you wont see any aperture ring or guide.

PavementPilot

One more thing I learned today. Good to know that Phottix rings work. What I meant when I said I couldnt see the aperture guide was the tab finger inside the ring that controls the aperture of the lens. It may be in shadow, and that is why.