Photography as a profession

Browncoat

Many of you have I'm sure, formed the opinion that I have a serious dislike for pro photographers, due to some of my responses on these forums. While this is true to a certain degree, it's an incorrect assumption. I have nothing but respect for those at the top of this profession. It's the ones clinging to the bottom rung of it that irritate me. And here's a perfect example:

First, read this. Here is an article by a photography student. Then, read this. A response from a working pro. The student is full of optimism about her chances of breaking into the industry. The pro is obviously a disgruntled old fart who used this opportunity to promote himself and his lame book. Why is he selling a book? Because he can't sell photos. There are thousands of pros just like Jim Pickerell. Here are a few quotes from him in case you didn't read his article:

In the case of young people just starting out, “adapting to change” should mean recognizing that the demand for professionally produced still photos is declining, and then figuring out how you will earn a living doing something other than photography.
Read this as: Jim has no real talent. He was a local guy w/ a big camera so everyone went to him by default. Jim is threatened by anyone "in his space" because he has no business sense and can't deal with actual competition.

There always will be exceptions, of course. There will be a few people who do well, but their numbers will be a lot less in five years than they are today, or than they were 10 or more years ago. As a career, photography is in serious decline.
Again with the decline? He's talking about his diminishing bottom line here. He used to have a certain market cornered, and now that customers are going elsewhere, he's concluded that these people simply don't exist anymore, because they couldn't possibly be going somewhere else. It's just not possible!

The major problem still photographers face is that technology has advanced to the point where virtually everyone can produce acceptable pictures for their needs, without the aid of a professional photographer.
Wrong again. They just don't need YOU anymore, Jim.

Scott Kelby isn't complaining about an industry decline. Neither is Chase Jarvis or Mr. McNally. THESE are industry leaders, not Jim the Disgruntled Local Pro. The above will encourage you, and proudly share their work and trade secrets. But not Jim. He tells tales of gloom and doom and starving children because he is afraid of us and the fact that he isn't exclusive anymore. He has to actually work for a living and not just have everything fall into his lap.

Look out, Jim the Disgruntled Local Pro. We're coming for you.

Last edited:

fotojack

LOL.....well done, Anthony. I share most if not all of your same feelings about the so called "pros", the ones who won't or refuse to change from their old ways, those who can't or refuse to change with newer technology. I've said it before; they'll be left behind. It's no wonder they become disgruntled, but I don't listen to disgruntled people anyway. I just try to keep up and do my best to have fun with this great hobby. I have a passion for photography, and that's all there is to it.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Anthony, I certainly didn't form that opinion of you. What I do see you as is "anti-whining", and that's something I don't tolerate well either. It's one of the reasons I didn't go to our photo club meeting tonight . . . it's run by a bunch of backward thinking film photographers (keyword here is backward thinking!) who are constantly bemoaning how better it was for them as pros 20 years ago . . . that they never needed websites, etc. The ones there who are digital "pros" , are very tight-lipped about strategies. The president actually said at the last meeting, "I was going to tell you all about this cool marketing strategy but decided I wasn't going to shoot myself in the foot."

encourage you, and proudly share their work and trade secrets

I think that's what a "pro" is . . . one who is secure enough in his or her own skill and knowledge to share and to help. And that's true of all professions, in my opinion. It's not how much money you make, or if you call yourself a professional, but do you have the attitude of a professional. Because if you do, you will judge your work honestly and you will work honestly to be the best without trampling others in the profession.

It's hard for young people to start out in ANY profession . . . but following your dream, and doing what you love, will always get you through. Otherwise, your soul is dead.

I never heard of this Jim Pickerell before, but it sounds like the only thing he has to his credit is a photo of an event where he happened to be at the right place at the right time, and Life happened to select his photo.

Browncoat

Jim Pickerell is a stock photographer.

At one time, that was a good place to be. But in the age of crowdsourcing and the internet, stock photography has taken a bigger hit than any other aspect of this business. In other words, Jim Pickerell was a stock photographer. His business has been turned into a kiosk operation down at the mall, a mere shadow of its former self. Places like iStockPhoto.com and Shutterstock.com now control a huge portion of that niche of photography. I admire his courage for not signing on with these Wal Marts of the industry, but at the same time I loathe him for jumping on the woe-is-me bandwagon. Adapt or die, Jim. It's a simple concept. The dot-com bubble is burst. Everyone has the internet now, so it's time to move on to the next phase. Welcome to the new age of wireless, cloud computing, social media, and personal branding.

We all bemoan the good ol' days when things were much simpler. I'm only 35 and I do it, too. But those times are gone, and if you spend your life looking backwards all the time, you're going to trip and fall flat on your face. There's a Hallmark card in there somewhere...but it's true. And this is why these working pros are failing, and blaming it on everyone but themselves where it belongs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carolina Photo Guy

A number of years ago, there was a movie titled "Good Morning Viet Nam!" starring Robin Williams. This was a story about Adrian Kroneaur, an Army DJ on Armed Forces Network. What does this have to do with this thread, you may ask.

There was a line in that film that perfectly fits Mr. Pickerell. He clearly is the man most in need of a **** job.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

Browncoat

Every pro should read this.

If you’re not getting paid what you’re worth, there are only two possible reasons:
1. People don’t know what you’re worth, or
2. You’re not (currently) worth as much as you believe

The first situation can’t happen unless you permit it to. If you’re undervalued, then you have a communication problem, one that you can solve by telling accurate stories that resonate.

Far more likely, though, is the second problem. If there are reasonable substitutes for your work, and those substitutes are seen as cheaper, then you’re not going to get the work. 'Worth' in this case means, "what does it cost to get something like that if something like that is what I want?"

That pretty much sums up the problem with the pro photography industry today, don't you think?

fotojack

What a despicable human being! Reminds me of ambulance chaser lawyers. And something further about Jim Pickerell; he is a person enthralled with his own self importance.

Browncoat

Wow...what a schmuck. So many of these guys take the whole licensing thing way too far. Yeah, you took the photo, it belongs to you. We get it.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
As some of you remember, I went through a bit of this while looking for a photographer for our upcoming wedding. Contrast it with the person I found. The person we are going to use is probably late 40's - early 50's. He has been working as a number two photographer as a side job for 6-7 years. The older "gentleman" that he worked sounded like Mr. Pickrell. He bought him out almost two years ago, switched to internet and word-of-mouth advertising and has built himself a nice portfolio.

When we were negotiating terms one of my concerns was that we have a CEO and couple other high-level executives attending the event. I told him that a blanket model release wouldn't be acceptable. His response was great. He suggested that we put in the contract that if he wants to use any of the images for marketing, he gets our approval. Reasonable and fair.

The other thing that struck me with this person is how he adapted to the current market. His approach is that he'll make the images available for individual orders on his website for 3-4 months. Afterward he provides a disc with at least 200 hi-res images. The contract states that we are allowed to use them for personal and/or family use but not allowed to sell, publicize or make a profit from them. Another reasonable response.

What a refreshing contrast to some of the examples referenced earlier in this thread.

Browncoat

Have faith. I know that my fellow photography students have quite different discussions about the current state and future of the industry on our own forums. Granted, some of it is a bit doe-eyed coming from the younger crowd, but it is largely positive. No one recants this doom and gloom stuff that you see so much of from the rank and file of today's working pros.

I think the winds of change are already blowing.

Xrsm002

So for all you professional photographers out there, I am curious how did you get started in the business? Did you first take a photography course? Did you work with a more experienced photographer? I am just asking because I am not where near professional. My career is in Emergency Medical Services as an Advanced EMT but was looking for a side job to do and I love taking pictures everywhere I go. But I was wanting to learn more, I am planning on taking a photography course at my local community college, to learn more about it.

I started out as a professional photographer many years ago. On a scale of 1 to 10 I was about a 7. Not the bets but better than most. i had lots of jobs made enough money but my true love was the darkroom. I had a color darkroom in my house that could do 20 x 30 color prints. This was the days before one hour photos. As cameras got better and one hour came in being a photographer became much harder. Everyone though they were a photographer. I left and did what I really enjoyed. Processing film. Did great at that. Managed over 100 labs at one point and ending up owning a couple. Got out of that as digital started rearing its ugly head. I am back to shooting now but my true love is still post processing. I just use Photoshop now.

I think out of everyone that calls them self a photographer about 10% really are. I think about 50% can probably each a living doing it. Just be realistic in your goals and talent. There are plenty of people that need someone to shoot their wedding but can't really afford a 10 to shoot it. Your 6 would be better than their sister in laws cousin. Do the best job you can and always strive to be better.

Xrsm002

I can post a slide show of my friends wedding I did for them as soon as I figure out how. I only did their wedding because they couldn't afford a professional and I have 6 yrs of audio/video/loghts experience at a church I went to started out doing video for Sunday services, then did sound/lights for them later on including weddings which I actually got paid for the weddings.

Xrsm002

I know one or two of photos in there got blurry. I shot all this pictures with a Canon Rebel T3i to shoot this video. My brother in law (who is Asian), I am white likes Nikon so I got a Nikon D5100 I have been using for the past year.