my photoblog, opinions please

balster

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share my new photoblog with you, Daily Face - a portrait photography blog

Daily Face is about the intriguing quality of the human face. Balster van Duijn, a documentary filmmaker, likes to study and photograph the human character. These daily portraits focus on human frailty and the facial expressions that give someone character.

Have a look and tell me what you think!

jengajoh

I think it's a neat concept. I looked through a few, I notice they don't go in order... unless I was doing something wrong. But anyway, it's pretty cool. Some of the faces were startling because of how raw, detailed and close up they were, however, very nice website!

ohkphoto

Snow White
Very interesting concept and nice website. I see the character part of the portraits, but not necessarily "human frailty". I see a lot of joy in the faces, and more strength and determination than frailty, which to me is synonymous with weakness. Maybe I'm the eternal optimist.

Best Regards

Browncoat

The site:
Simplistic in design, though if you included some accompanying text, I might be able to get deeper into these photographs. As it is, it's as though I'm looking at someone's photo album on Picasa as opposed to the work of a "documentary filmmaker".

The photos:
Carrying along with the above theme, I just don't see or feel any of the human condition here. Who are these people? Where did they come from? Why does this person appear sad, or that one angry? I see no depth that makes me wonder who these people are. This body of work lies smack dab in the middle of the triangle of portraiture, photojournalism, and street photography...which is no-man's land. Your concept is sound, but it's not translating into compelling photography that grabs my attention.