d5200 underrexposing

foo

Hi all . Is it normal for the nikon to under expose ,only mine seems to under expose by about a third of a stop .
Not sure if anyone else has the same issue , its easy enogh to fix with adobe , and there seems to be no loss of detail. but was not expecting a nikon to do this to be honest.
I could just alter exposure correction by a third and that should sort it .
Post some pics when I'm not working .:disturbed:

bluesman_1986

Re: d 5200 underrexposing

Foo I notice the nikon metering system appears to be a little on the sensitive side.. personally I find mine to be slightly over so I always have my exposure comp on -0.3 or if in manual do the math.. hope this helps

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

foo

cheers Bluesman yep gonna set mine to +0.3 ev and see if it makes the difference , still its a great camera. And just getting to grips with it , I shoot mostly in Manual mode anyway .
all the best dude

BackdoorArts

A lot depends on what you're shooting and the metering mode you're in. I shoot in Matrix mode, and when the subject is a darker color it will tend to overexpose, and when it's a brighter subject it will underexpose. Even in manual, if you're basing exposure on the camera's meter reading you'll get the same results as in Aperture or Shutter Priority - it depends on what more you're using.

mauckcg

I've found Active D-Lighting plays a part in that too. If you turn it all the way off the pictures tend to be a bit more accurate.

foo

Don't use D lighting its just another process for your photos, best to take them as natural as possible without the added processing.
I think that D lighting maybe useful for some but if you set camera up properly you should not need it. Just my opinion others my differ .

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

AristillusUK

I don't think I could add anything to what you've already been advised, but I would suggest experimenting with the types of metering, and ensure you meter off the optimum light source on your subject, and also check histograms of your image. You could also use bracketing either side of what your camera suggests. This what I love about photography, the learning curve is constantly upward, and forever unpredictable to the many variables photographers encounter.

RocketCowboy

I've found Active D-Lighting plays a part in that too. If you turn it all the way off the pictures tend to be a bit more accurate.

That explains some of what I've been seeing. Thanks for the reminder....I'm turning Active D-Lighting off as I meant to do a couple weeks ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk