Image numbering/naming system

chamilton

I was told by Nikon that the camera will only hold 999 photos in a folder, then starts a new folder and the image names start over again with DSC_0001. It would make sense to me that it should start over after 9999. So now I'm left with having to rename all of my photos on the computer, which is time consuming. Does anyone else have a better solution? I can't even figure out if you can change the "DSC" to something else to help my photos from overwriting themselves if I later put them in the same folder. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Sandpatch

I guess you could create a second folder on your computer as well and drag the new series of photos there.

I rename my files when I put them on the computer, else I'd never be able to find anything. For now, I'm using a naming system like "2014-03-15 Washing Car". It gives me searchability for a subject and the date. I may choose something else someday.

RON_RIP

And I do not take enough photos to care. Whatever the computer names them is fine with me. Only the ones I am going to print or put in special folders get a name. The rest are just orphans. But I do not neglect them. I review every orphan image every six months and reclassify or delete them. No rushing to judgement here.

nickt

Your manual says the numbers go to 9999, then a new folder is created. Then there is a note that says if you are on photo 999 in your 999th folder, the camera will stop taking pictures. So maybe that is where the 999 vs 9999 confusion came from. I don't think you can change the DSC_ on the d3200.

Like Don said, ViewNX and many editing programs will rename on import and/or put each import into a date-named subfolder.

chamilton

Your manual says the numbers go to 9999, then a new folder is created. Then there is a note that says if you are on photo 999 in your 999th folder, the camera will stop taking pictures. So maybe that is where the 999 vs 9999 confusion came from. I don't think you can change the DSC_ on the d3200.

Like Don said, ViewNX and many editing programs will rename on import and/or put each import into a date-named subfolder.

My manual doesn't say how many photos are stored in the folders. I just received an email back from Nikon confirming our conversation that only 999 photos will store in a folder. I think that's a pretty poor design. Had I known, I would have never bought this camera.

I've put viewnx on my computer, but it's easier for me to upload by inserting the card into my computer. Now I'll be dragging out the usb wire.

nickt

I may have misinterpreted what the manual says regarding file numbering, from page 142:

Option Description
On
When a new folder is created, the memory card formatted, or a new memory card
inserted in the camera, file numbering continues from the last number used or
from the largest file number in the current folder, whichever is higher. If a
photograph is taken when the current folder contains a photograph numbered
9999, a new folder will be created automatically and file numbering will begin
again from 0001.

Off
File numbering is reset to 0001 when a new folder is created, the memory card is
formatted, or a new memory card is inserted in the camera. Note that a new
folder is created automatically if a photograph is taken when the current folder
contains 999 photographs.

File Number Sequence
If the current folder is numbered 999 and contains either 999 photographs or a photograph
numbered 9999, the shutter-release button will be disabled and no further photographs can
be taken. Choose Reset for File number sequence and then either format the current
memory card or insert a new memory card.

So the way I read this, it is limited to 999 images per folder, however the count can continue to 9999, they will just span folders on the card. And if this option is ON, that count will continue until 9999 is reached even with changing cards. Setting it to OFF will reset the count every time a blank card is inserted.

Patrick M

I'm surprised anybody would have over a thousand photos in a single folder. But that's my opinion only. Surely it makes it a nightmare for searches. Anyway...
Don't forget you also have three letters that you can change.

chamilton

I may have misinterpreted what the manual says regarding file numbering, from page 142:

Option Description
On
When a new folder is created, the memory card formatted, or a new memory card
inserted in the camera, file numbering continues from the last number used or
from the largest file number in the current folder, whichever is higher. If a
photograph is taken when the current folder contains a photograph numbered
9999, a new folder will be created automatically and file numbering will begin
again from 0001.

Off
File numbering is reset to 0001 when a new folder is created, the memory card is
formatted, or a new memory card is inserted in the camera. Note that a new
folder is created automatically if a photograph is taken when the current folder
contains 999 photographs.

File Number Sequence
If the current folder is numbered 999 and contains either 999 photographs or a photograph
numbered 9999, the shutter-release button will be disabled and no further photographs can
be taken. Choose Reset for File number sequence and then either format the current
memory card or insert a new memory card.

So the way I read this, it is limited to 999 images per folder, however the count can continue to 9999, they will just span folders on the card. And if this option is ON, that count will continue until 9999 is reached even with changing cards. Setting it to OFF will reset the count every time a blank card is inserted.

My manual does not go up to page 142. The manual I received with the camera does not specify anywhere how many photos can be held in a folder. My camera limits 999 images per folder, then opens a new folder and begins the count at 1. It will not continue to 9999. The only way I've been able to achieve the continuous count is to change the names of the images on import thru the program I got with the camera.

chamilton

I'm surprised anybody would have over a thousand photos in a single folder. But that's my opinion only. Surely it makes it a nightmare for searches. Anyway...
Don't forget you also have three letters that you can change.

I don't keep thousands of photos in a folder. I shoot photos, then download them to my computer in the folder that I want them organized into. We do tours and I have the folders set up for each tour. I need the images to continue number wise because when I got to put a DVD together, I take the photos out of the folders and put them on the DVD. I cannot have them being named the same thing.

Also, my camera will not allow me to change the first 3 letters of the images either. I can only personalize a folder name, but the images start over with 1.

I have achieved the continuous numbering thru the software I got with the camera. I still think this is a poor design. I have bought cheaper cameras that "all" will continue in number up to 9999.