Macro lenses...

johnwartjr

I'm interested in getting a macro lens.

I shoot FX and DX, so the DX-only 85mm is out.

I'm comparing and contrasting the 60mm and 105mm lens. Either is in my price range.

I am not interested in non-Nikkor lenses, so those are the 2 I am interested in.

My *current* interests in Macro would be photographs of circuit boards, pinball machine parts, miniatures, and potential copy board work.

I might have interests in other areas as time progresses - insects, flowers, etc.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Ranie

John, I m using a 60mm F2.8 micro and im loving it. Thats the lens I shoot on my food shots (on facebook and flickr) and also some close up, product and portrait shots. I dont mind working close to my subjects.

Ranie

here is a sample shot i took yesterday
D90 with 60mm F2.8 micro
5432360570_273de94a5b_z.jpg

no post processing here
just watermarked on photoshop
available light

ohkphoto

Snow White
Great shot, Ranie! The more I use this lens, the more I love it!
BTW, are those chocolate cups with something yummy inside?

fotojack

Seems like the 60 macro is the one to get, John. And it seems like most if not all of your macro interests will be stationary. so no worries about getting too close to the subject. Having said that, if you're eventually going to photograph insects or anything else that's alive, I would suggest you go for a longer lens, such as the 105. I myself use the 85mm macro Nikon lens ( I call it a compromise between the 2 other lenses :) ). Another one I use is the 28-105 with macro switch. Awesome lens for closeups. Anyway...there ya go.....lots of opinions. :)

Ranie

John, if you find the 60mm too short for your needs, I know that you mentioned when you start this thread that you only prefer Nikon lenses, but the Tokina 100 F2.8 AT-X Pro Macro is worth considering if you choose the 105. Its sharper and better than Nikon or Canon in this focal lenght as stated by Ken Rockwell (Tokina 100mm f/2.8 Macro AT-X PRO D AF) and at $400 brandnew, you cant go wrong. I have personally tested this lens (borrowed one from a friend) and I was really impressed.
Its an FX and a DX lens by the way.

jengajoh

I use the 60mm 2.8 ED, and I shoot insect shots with it, but I like bugs so I don't mind getting close. :) Looks like we all like this lens. Although I am sure you have shopped around, when I was looking I found the prices ranged between $500 - $600. I found the best price at the time was at B&H photo.

johnwartjr

Thanks for the feedback.

Still undecided. Might have to give the Tokina a look, after seeing that price.

I was raised with a Father who shot Nikon, and he always bought Nikon everything, and maybe it's time to rethink that decision.

Ranie

Thanks for the feedback.

Still undecided. Might have to give the Tokina a look, after seeing that price.

I was raised with a Father who shot Nikon, and he always bought Nikon everything, and maybe it's time to rethink that decision.

John, times have changed. The main brands are not "always" the better choices. Besides, Tokina has very strong ties with Nikon.

johnwartjr

I have another lens in my sights, the macro is probably gonna have to wait.. hopefully will post something on Monday relating to what lens I end up with :)

Curt

Can anyne tell me the difference between the Micro Nikkor 60mm 2.8 D and the one that does not say "D" just Mirco Nikkor 60mm 2.8 ? I have achance to pick up a 60mm that does not say "D" he has gone down from $260.00 to $220.00 sound like a good deal, but I want some input first befor I pull the tigger on it.

Mike150

Just to put my 2 cents worth in there. I have the 105. I can get as close as I want, but I can also back off a little bit in order to NOT spook anything live I'm shooting. This is one of my earlier shots with it.

Bee.jpg

Curt

Very nice Mike, right now I am using a Nikkor 28-105mm with a macro feature on it. I am looking at a Nikkor 60mm right now.
See where it goes in the next day or so?

fotojack

Very nice Mike, right now I am using a Nikkor 28-105mm with a macro feature on it. I am looking at a Nikkor 60mm right now.
See where it goes in the next day or so?

I have the same 28-105, Curt. I think it's a pretty good lens for what it does. And it has the macro feature, as you mentioned. Pretty versatile lens, really.

Curt

Yes I am pretty happy with that lens, its not a DX lens either. I think I will keep it...lol.
Made in Japan, so its pretty solid to.