Been thinking

Scott Murray

Over the past few months I have wanted to venture away from my mundane job and try something like this. What I want to do is each dry season / tourist season I want to start a business called 'Territory Photography Adventures' and what I plan on doing is taking a few customers (max 4 for day trips) or (max 8 - for overnighters / weekends / a week). What my aim is to offer my photography experience as long with my 4wding experience and take people to places that they would not normally see, I would also get to locations for sunsets/sunrises so it will be photography minded, I could cater for all types of photography needs from wildlife/macro/landscape etc. But with my hectic week working and week off I am unsure it can be done. Does anyone have any advice for this? I am also looking at asking my mate who is also a great cook and photographer himself.

Thoughts please.

mikew_RIP

Go for it on your week off,don't give up the day job though :D try to organize a trial one that's the only way to find the problems,is the economy ready for it.

Scott Murray

Go for it on your week off,don't give up the day job though :D try to organize a trial one that's the only way to find the problems,is the economy ready for it.

Yeah thats why I said max 1 week, we have a thriving tourist industry and I doubt if I would be charging too much that the average backpacker could not afford.

Deezey

The idea of a photography safari sounds awesome.

Now would you supply the vehicle(s) or would this be only for people with 4x4 capable vehicles?

I honestly believe this idea has merit. But a business outline would help me get a better idea of what you are trying to do.

Jonathan

If I had access to a service like that I'd use it like a shot. Combination of great sights, great shots and mediocre company! NoButSeriouslyFolks, do as Mike suggests. Also, maybe only take the people who market/sell these types of break so you can get instant feedback on wherther it's a runner and whether they would recommend it to their clients. As you know, safaris in Africa sell well, so why not the Outback? Talk to your local tourist board, too. Reach out to city-based camera clubs, too.

weebee

I think with your photography skills you should be able to do well. Try it and see. It shouldn't cost much to give it a try, though I know nothing of yours laws/regulations that may need to be followed in starting a business venture. Find the average cost for this sort of thing and charge a bit less to attract customers and reviews.

Scott Murray

The idea of a photography safari sounds awesome.

Now would you supply the vehicle(s) or would this be only for people with 4x4 capable vehicles?

I honestly believe this idea has merit. But a business outline would help me get a better idea of what you are trying to do.
I would provide vehicle, tents, food, etc. hence why its set to max 8 people for 2 x cars. I have a mate in mind as the 2nd driver/photographer/cook but its all just planning. My car is capable of going alot of places and adds to the adventure of the trip. I have a 60ltr fridge in my car and can add another if needed. I do not tow a trailer but this just may be needed in certain set ups.

Scott Murray

I have just applied online for the registration of a business name and abn (australian business number). Lets hope that goes through, I then will be offering day trips out to some of the National parks here in the Territory and will venture from there :)

Jonathan

I have just applied online for the registration of a business name and abn (australian business number). Lets hope that goes through, I then will be offering day trips out to some of the National parks here in the Territory and will venture from there :)
GO FOR IT. I think it best to look back over one's life with as few "What Ifs" as possible. Heck, maybe take work colleagues first time out?

Jonathan

I ran my own business for a couple of years in my late 30s. It did well, but not well enough and when my children came along I shut it down and went for a job with greater security. Don't for a minute, though, regret having a go as I would always have been curious ...

weebee

I ran my own business for a couple of years in my late 30s. It did well, but not well enough and when my children came along I shut it down and went for a job with greater security. Don't for a minute, though, regret having a go as I would always have been curious ...

What Jonathan said!

wev

Contributor
Check your business regs carefully -- here in California, you would need a large pile of money and secured assets just to cover the bonding, permits and insurance for a venture of this sort.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I had a friend who lived in The Great Smokey Mountains in Tennessee. He hiked into places that the general public never saw. He didn't have a job, so he started advertising his new business for wilderness trips throughout the Mountains. He did very well for quite a while. He had other personal issues that put an end to his business. He knew the Smokey Mountains better than the Indians did. He knew of waterfalls, and caves, and in general places (he called these places 'virgin forests') hardly anyone but him knew about. Scott, I think your idea is a very good one.