Cheap Macro Photography

kushpvo

Yes, I know that nothing can beat a real macro lens, but for a beginner like me who is low on budget would opt for cheap means! :D

So i know that there are three possible alternatives!

1. Lens Reversal
  2. Extension tubes
  3. Close-up fliters

There is another method where a reversed lens is stacked upon another lens! But i am not much into lens reversal because the idea that the lens's back part stays naked scares me! But anyways, Share your suggestion and reviews! :D

EDIT : I read somewhere that a 50mm lens with an extension tube is the best idea! Is it so?

Deezey

RAYNOX DCR-250. This and any zoom kit lens with 55-67mm threads. You will be golden. All of my macro shots are with this combo. It is a fantastic bargain at roughly $90.00.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

480sparky

Yes, I know that nothing can beat a real macro lens, but for a beginner like me who is low on budget would opt for cheap means! :D

So i know that there are three possible alternatives!

1. Lens Reversal
  2. Extension tubes
  3. Close-up fliters

There is another method where a reversed lens is stacked upon another lens! But i am not much into lens reversal because the idea that the lens's back part stays naked scares me! But anyways, Share your suggestion and reviews! :D

EDIT : I read somewhere that a 50mm lens with an extension tube is the best idea! Is it so?

What's the difference between the front of the lens being exposed and the back end? Both can be scratched or damaged if you're not careful.

As for 'protecting' the back end of the lens, just pop on a BR-6.

Nikon BR-6 Auto Diaphragm Ring for Reverse Mount Lenses 2658 B&H

37175.jpg

You'll need one anyway if you reverse a G lens.

If you want noob-can't-afford-much-super-cheap, try 'free-lensing'.

kushpvo

What's the difference between the front of the lens being exposed and the back end? Both can be scratched or damaged if you're not careful.

As for 'protecting' the back end of the lens, just pop on a BR-6.

Nikon BR-6 Auto Diaphragm Ring for Reverse Mount Lenses 2658 B&H

37175.jpg

You'll need one anyway if you reverse a G lens.

If you want noob-can't-afford-much-super-cheap, try 'free-lensing'.

But the front end of the lens is covered with UV Fliter. What is a BR-6? And yeah, What do you suggest? Lens Reversing or Extension tube?
Thank you anyways! :)

480sparky

But the front end of the lens is covered with UV Fliter.

You'll get over that some day. If you're that paranoid, the BR-6 has 52mm filter threads you can use just like on your lens.

What is a BR-6?

It allows you to hold the aperture blades open.

And yeah, What do you suggest? Lens Reversing or Extension tube?

Depends on what you're shooting, where, and how much magnification you need.

kushpvo

You'll get over that some day. If you're that paranoid, the BR-6 has 52mm filter threads you can use just like on your lens.

It allows you to hold the aperture blades open.

Depends on what you're shooting, where, and how much magnification you need.

Okay. Thank you! :)

I'd mostly like to shoot flowers or something like that!

Deezey

Okay! Thanks! And what lens should i use? a 50mm f/1.8? OR 18-55? or 55-200?

With the Raynox, the longer the lens the greater the magnification. I use my 55-200 on my D90. With my D610 I use the 50 1.8D and DCR-250. The Raynox (in my opinion) is the best close up filter there is.

kushpvo

With the Raynox, the longer the lens the greater the magnification. I use my 55-200 on my D90. With my D610 I use the 50 1.8D and DCR-250. The Raynox (in my opinion) is the best close up filter there is.

Okay. But Raynox is too expensive for me right now. I ordered Polaroid Close-Up filters +1 +2 +4 and +10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Murray

You should have went the Raynox as its one of the sharpest close up filters going, I use it on my 50mm and it is equivalent to a Tamron 90mm Macro. If I was you I would have saved the $90.00 for the Raynox as you will but it at a later date anyway.

480sparky

You should have went the Raynox as its one of the sharpest close up filters going, I use it on my 50mm and it is equivalent to a Tamron 90mm Macro. If I was you I would have saved the $90.00 for the Raynox as you will but it at a later date anyway.

Perhaps the cheapy Polaroids (which, most likely, are just off-shore type that is rebranded with 1000 iterations), may be an economical move. If the OP finds he/she doesn't have the patience for macro work, there's not a lot of money wrapped up in gear.

I did the same thing.... bought a set of 4 $20 filters to 'try' doing macro. If the OP finds it's not his/her cup of tea, then the filters can be donated to another aspiring macrophotographer without much financial distress.

Mike D90

Perhaps the cheapy Polaroids (which, most likely, are just off-shore type that is rebranded with 1000 iterations), may be an economical move. If the OP finds he/she doesn't have the patience for macro work, there's not a lot of money wrapped up in gear.

I did the same thing.... bought a set of 4 $20 filters to 'try' doing macro. If the OP finds it's not his/her cup of tea, then the filters can be donated to another aspiring macrophotographer without much financial distress.

This is true.

Or he can do as I did, still not learn, and buy filters first, then try lens stacking, then try reverse lens ring and finally purchase a true macro lens!

At least I did this over a period of years.

kushpvo

This is true.

Or he can do as I did, still not learn, and buy filters first, then try lens stacking, then try reverse lens ring and finally purchase a true macro lens!

At least I did this over a period of years.

I ordered filters! :D if i get in love with macro and if i find its my cup of tea, will move to macro lens!

kushpvo

Thank you for your kind response! I am going with the filters now! ;)