Nikkor 105mm macro lens and extension rings

Vixen

I did this to see what extra I could get by putting extension rings behind my 105mm macro lens
I had to do it handheld as I don't have a fine adjustment setup for my tripod so the focus is not fantastic, but looking at how much of the coin is visible, you can see how much closer you can get to the subject (in this case the match head)

so....with just the 105mm lens (at effectively 157mm on my D7100 acc to the exif data). I didn't change ANY camera settings and focused by moving the lens closer.

DSC_4903_zpsbb01f1a4.jpg

add in a 12mm extension tube

DSC_4904_zps22d0566d.jpg

with a 20mm extension tube

DSC_4906_zpsad487e23.jpg

with a 36mm extension tube

DSC_4908_zpsbca9db5d.jpg

You can of course also stack the extension tubes on top of each other to get in even closer.

Geoffc

No. It just allows the lens to shoot closer to the subject.

I think what it does is increase the focal length whilst maintaining the closest focussing distance, at least that's how it behaved when I tried it. Therefore the magnification increases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

480sparky

Nice. I'm curious. Does using extension tubes take away stops like TC's?

Yes. It has to... the aperture blades are further from the camera.

I think what it does is increase the focal length whilst maintaining the closest focussing distance, at least that's how it behaved when I tried it. Therefore the magnification increases.

Focal length cannot change as there's no glass in extension tubes. Only TCs can change the focal length.

FastGlass

O'k, I recieved two different answers regarding if adding extension tube rob light thus taking away a stop of light give or take. The more I think about it I would have to agree with 480Sparky. Sorry gqtuazon. To me the further away a hole is from a given point the smaller it appears. So by adding extension tubes your putting the aperture blades further from the sensor allowing less light to reach it. I think.

Vixen

O'k, I recieved two different answers regarding if adding extension tube rob light thus taking away a stop of light give or take. The more I think about it I would have to agree with 480Sparky. Sorry gqtuazon. To me the further away a hole is from a given point the smaller it appears. So by adding extension tubes your putting the aperture blades further from the sensor allowing less light to reach it. I think.

When I took those pics, I was in manual mode so NO settings at all were changed on the camera and all are exposed approx the same if you look at them. OK, I was out in bright sunlight at the time. I can't go back and tell you the settings coz I deleted the originals...not exactly keepers are they? :D

This may answer your questions tho

How Extension Tubes Work for Magnification - For Dummies

Geoffc

Yes. It has to... the aperture blades are further from the camera.

Focal length cannot change as there's no glass in extension tubes. Only TCs can change the focal length.

From what I've read it does increase the focal length, in that the optical centre of the lens is now further from the sensor. It certainly increases magnification for the same lens to subject distance.

480sparky

From what I've read it does increase the focal length, in that the optical centre of the lens is now further from the sensor. It certainly increases magnification for the same lens to subject distance.

Focal length is determined by measuring from the focus center to the focus point, using parallel light beams. When you focus a lens closer, the focused light beams are no longer parallel... they converge in front of the lens at the same distance the subject is.