Prints for sale

Ruidoso Bill

Here is my current strategy. First, I am blessed to live in a resort community, so I've been thinking some of our visitors would love to take home a little local color. Second, I bought the mat cutter thinking matted prints are much easier to sell. Next thing is, how do you protect your matted prints? Heat shrink! So now I'm off bidding on heat shrink machines. Does anyone have any experience with these machines? I am bidding on a 24" unit now.

I am thinking of a display box with 25 prints to start off with, number and identify the prints so I can restock after the big rush lol. Just a simple spreadsheet and maybe stop by every couple of weeks for a look at the inventory.

I wish it was just Nikon gear I was wanting. There are tons of other things to buy also.

Last edited by a moderator:

M.Hinch

Yibel,
I've had a little experience with them through work, printer. They can get very hot. What thickness would the matte be and mostly what would
the print be. Have you thought of laminating? Just worried about the heat and the print. Not sure if the laminater gets as hot.

Michael.

Joseph Bautsch

Bill, wish you much luck in this endeavor. With your skills you should do well. Are you planning on doing your own printing or having a print service do this for you? You may also find the stores where you want to display your prints will want a commission or even charge rent for the space.

Ruidoso Bill

Not laminating, just seal the edges and blow dry is what I'm thinking. I need to put some kind of backer just for rigidity.

Last edited by a moderator:

M.Hinch

The ones at work require a two part process. One to seal the three edges and then put on a small conveyor belt then into a
small heat like oven out and cooled. Most things we shrink wrap are in bundles.

Michael

Joseph Bautsch

I would think with photographs and mats all you would need is a cellophane cover (envelope) with the open end sealed. You indicate you are bidding on a 24" machine, just what does it do? Something that generates a lot of heat could not be good for photos.

Ruidoso Bill

The ones at work require a two part process. One to seal the three edges and then put on a small conveyor belt then into a
small heat like oven out and cooled. Most things we shrink wrap are in bundles.

Michael

Michael, that's gotta be a whole lot larger scale than I'm thinking. I'm thinking the smaller machines with rollers for dispenser and an arm with a hot wire to weld and cut the material. The oven would be a heat gun in my case.

Ruidoso Bill

Bill, wish you much luck in this endeavor. With your skills you should do well. Are you planning on doing your own printing or having a print service do this for you? You may also find the stores where you want to display your prints will want a commission or even charge rent for the space.

I'm going to approach friends and aquaintences first, I don't mind them making some, need to pay for the space somehow. What I am invsioning is a box with some prints in it and maybe a pic on the front.

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

I would think with photographs and mats all you would need is a cellophane cover (envelope) with the open end sealed. You indicate you are bidding on a 24" machine, just what does it do? Something that generates a lot of heat could not be good for photos.

From what I can see on youtube and other places I've looked is the shrink wrap can be center folded so in my case I would insert the print, you the seal the three edges and shrink it up with a heat gun.

It is also available in a tube but the sizes seem smaller and it is a little more expensive.

fotojack

I don't know, Bill. I don't think the heat shrink is such a good idea. I like the sleeve idea more. Just seems more practical and a heck of a lot cheaper without a big financial outlay in equipment.
I just thought of something else; what about between Lexan sheets......the thin ones. It's like Plexiglass. Probably not what you want, but it's just an idea I'm throwing out there. :)

ohkphoto

Snow White
Bill, I agree with everyone else that the heat thing may not be the way to go. Not only could you damage the print, but you could also warp the matboard. If you can find "sleeves", that sounds like the best bet (least expensive and least amount of trouble). Also, the labs can apply a protective finish to your prints.

Have you checked out this place: Clearbags

jengajoh

When I go to craft fairs and things like that there are always photographers with booths selling prints. They always use those plastic sleeves or re-sealable bags. I did a quick search and this place sells bags: Here and Here

Carolina Photo Guy

Hey Bill. I have an Emerald shrink wrap system that I have been using for the past 10 years. It is the 24" system and came with the heat gun.

I will be replacing the shrink wrap roll this year to get ready for the craft show season.

A few points to look for. Get the manufacturer name and find out how expensive the sealing element is on the wrapper. Costs vary.

Make sure that you have access to the repair manuals for your specific unit. Also make sure your unit comes with the heat gun. These can

be quite expensive if purchased alone.

Make sure that EVERY shrink wrapped piece is kept out of direct sunlight. Condensation is NOT your friend. Ask me how I know!

You should not have to pay more than $250.00 for a system in fantastic condition. Beware of the people that want to sell piecemeal.

Hope this helps Bubba.

Pete