Mountain Gorilla - Rwanda

Scott Murray

I decided to go through my Africa album once again and thought that the Gorillas never got a fair show, so here is a thread about the Gorillas.

Stay tuned for photos :)

Last edited:

Scott Murray

Setting up our camp at a missionary in Rwanda this town sits at the foot hills of the Mountain Gorillas.

DSC_6779.jpg

Scott Murray

Walking around this guy wants his photo taken, for some reason he thinks it will make him famous. I guess he is now famous on Nikonites ;)

DSC_6787.jpg

Scott Murray

This is a friends photo of me just to show my set up, I am wearing a sony action cam stuck on top of my hat. That orange SPOT device is a personal GPS tracking system that updates my position to a website in real time. My 80-400 is wearing a shower cap as its easier to remove then a lens cap.

Africa 1 Nikon_2715.jpg

Scott Murray

We were instructed to keep 7mtrs from the gorillas, but in this dense jungle that was very hard and I found myself at one time slipping on a wet vine and sliding towards a 250kg Silver back :) fun fun.

DSC_6839.jpg

Scott Murray

Remember that 7mtr rule, but no one told this baby. Also with this baby it lost one of its hands due to a snare that was left by hunters. They were not targeting gorillas but they still seem to get harmed.

DSC_7006.jpg

Scott Murray

And some photos from a friends 'Coolpix' of us walking through and out of the jungle.

Africa 1 Nikon_2282.jpg Africa 1 Nikon_2283.jpg Africa 1 Nikon_2409.jpg Africa 1 Nikon_2411.jpg

Thanks for looking and if you get a chance to go to Rwanda definitely go see the gorillas its an hr of your life that you will never forget. Oh and pay the porters the $10USD to carry your bag as they used to be gorilla poachers and are now porters, this is better than poaching such a beautiful animal.