The new Nikon 1 v3

speedandstyle

I like the looks of this one! The V2 fixed some issues that the V1 had but it wasn't the best looking. The V3 looks very nice and I like the add-on EVF{I use them on my m4/3 Olympus PENs} and grip. It being modular makes it more versatile, set it up the way you need it. The price is a little high but not horrible. I don't like that you have to get the new lens if you want a V3. There should be a body only{or body with EVF and grip} kit. From what I understand Europe and Asia get the option.

There are a couple of things that I don't like on the V3. First it uses micro-SD cards. I have used the micro cards before for small action video cams and they function fine but are hard to insert/eject and very easy to loose. I wish Nikon had used the regular SD card slot. Another thing that sucks is that you have to pull the grip off to change the battery{or at least if the battery loads from the bottom - I have not found a picture of where the battery door is but they are almost always on the bottom}. I also wish that Nikon had put an AF-on button on the back. I assume the AF/AE lock button can be assigned to this function but I like having the ability to use both without having to reset in the menu. From what I could find the Fn buttons can't be assigned to AF-on.

I am also very interested in the new super-tele zoom! For the reach it can't be beat. It would be like having an 800mm on FF! The Nikkor 800mm f5.6 is over $17K BTW.

Last edited:

Rick M

I'll probably end up with one Glenn! I'm hoping some other lens kits come out as this new lens does not take filters. I'd like to see the same kit offered with the 10mm 2.8. One thing I liked was that all 3 of my current lenses (10-30, 18.5 and 30-110) all use a 40.5 filter (the 10mm 2.8 does as well).

gqtuazon

Gear Head
There are a couple of things that I don't like on the V3. First it uses micro-SD cards. I have used the micro cards before for small action video cams and they function fine but are hard to insert/eject and very easy to loose. I wish Nikon had used the regular SD card slot..
Agreed.
Another thing that sucks is that you have to pull the grip off to change the battery{or at least if the battery loads from the bottom - I have not found a picture of where the battery door is but they are almost always on the bottom}. .
Nothing much you can do about this. Even most of our newer DSLRs requires a 10 second step to remove the battery grip and replace the battery.

PapaST

I like the looks of this one. I dig the "transformer" type build where you can add pieces to give different feel (grip) and functionality. It gives you a choice of going dslr-like or stripped down for minimal bulk. My only knock so far is good glass. But I think/hope that will come around sooner or later.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I really really want to love this but the microSD and inability to use the GPS are probably show stoppers for me. At this price point I'd most likely add a little more and move to an OM-D E-M1. Darn it because I really like the Nikon 1 glass. For now, that the V1 and D800 take the same battery adds to the convenience so I'll be staying where I am. If I was a birder, that new lens and fast frame rate would have me at the front of the line.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The micro SD does not bother me since those are dime a dozen. I've been using them with my other celll phones several years ago.

At this point, I want to be like Dave and get a back breaking prime lens. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phillydog1958

I'm starting to have a certain appreciation for the features and benefits of the V3. The only issue is that the MICRO SD card is a bit annoying, but manageable.

Phillydog1958

I really really want to love this but the microSD and inability to use the GPS are probably show stoppers for me. At this price point I'd most likely add a little more and move to an OM-D E-M1. Darn it because I really like the Nikon 1 glass. For now, that the V1 and D800 take the same battery adds to the convenience so I'll be staying where I am. If I was a birder, that new lens and fast frame rate would have me at the front of the line.

The OM-D EM1 is a nice camera. It's even weather sealed.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Agreed. I wish that Nikon would sell the body only in the US. I may have to ask Glenn to pick one up for me in Japan.

Rick M

I really like that the low pass is removed, with that pixel density, there's gonna be some really sharp results!

I do hope they have more purchase options. I noticed previous models eventually came bundled with different lenses. The more I think about the new lens, I'm a bit disappointed. They targeted the point and shoot crowd with that particular lens. Nice that its convenient with the auto cap and power zoom, but no filter capability?

If they took the $299 off and sold without a lens it would be a bargain! I'd even take the older 10-30 in a bundle.

Phillydog1958

I couldn't find a comparison between the V3 and the OM-D E-M1, but I did find one for the E-M5. It appears that Nikon finally figured it out .:D

Nikon V3 vs Olympus E-M5 « NEW CAMERA

Last edited:

Phillydog1958

I really like that the low pass is removed, with that pixel density, there's gonna be some really sharp results!

I do hope they have more purchase options. I noticed previous models eventually came bundled with different lenses. The more I think about the new lens, I'm a bit disappointed. They targeted the point and shoot crowd with that particular lens. Nice that its convenient with the auto cap and power zoom, but no filter capability?

If they took the $299 off and sold without a lens it would be a bargain! I'd even take the older 10-30 in a bundle.

The V3's kit lens has that power-zoom feature, which is a hot item amongst video enthusiast, which is another market that Nikon wants to tap into. Most other mirrorless camera manufacturers are appealing to the videographer, photographer and hybrid markets.