Staff member
just testing something :)

big_ben-large.jpg

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Re: EXIF Data test

Okay, so here's how this works:

- old images that were previously uploaded to the site do not have the exif data compiled yet - it will be compiled after the new(est) server move
- if an image had to be resized on upload then unfortunately the exif data was stripped
- this doesn't work for the gallery the same way - if an image had to be resized, again the exif was stripped even if it shows in the gallery
- if new images have to be resized in a post, exif is stored, but if the image is reposted somewhere else the exif will not show up
- exif will show for images hosted elsewhere assuming that it is still in tact

I will probably sticky this info once I figure out all the details and a couple small issues.

wev

Contributor

Working nicely on images I posted in the last few hours -- cool.

Pretzel

Forget the exif for a min... I like that pic! LOL

Very cool feature, but I usually let the uploader resize for me. Oops...

nikonpup

i get full data when i do not make my image large--just bits of data when i make image large using 1024 for long side, is that ok?

Jonathan

Seeing nothing extra on my iPad using Atomic Browser spoofed as IE9 wearing black socks (and more) and with my belt undone to release cache.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

I know this is still in test, but I just uploaded to the gallery and it shows the time as 3:05pm when it was really shot at 7:05pm.

WhiteLight

ok..are the pics in the first 2 posts supposed to be showing the EXIF data?
How's that supposed to work??
hover the mouse over the image like preview?
i am unable to view the exif for either image... using Safari if that matters

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member

Forget the exif for a min... I like that pic! LOL

Very cool feature, but I usually let the uploader resize for me. Oops...

Thanks! New images will have exif regardless of resize.

i get full data when i do not make my image large--just bits of data when i make image large using 1024 for long side, is that ok?

That's correct. You shouldn't see any exif when clicking on a pic to view full size. Is it overlapping?

Seeing nothing extra on my iPad using Atomic Browser spoofed as IE9 wearing black socks (and more) and with my belt undone to release cache.
Er, I don't have an ipad to test with at the moment, but it shouldn't make a difference.

I know this is still in test, but I just uploaded to the gallery and it shows the time as 3:05pm when it was really shot at 7:05pm.

The gallery is a separate system, but the time shouldn't be off like that regardless. Sounds like something isn't being corrected for the time zone somewhere. Can you give an exmaple?

ok..are the pics in the first 2 posts supposed to be showing the EXIF data?
How's that supposed to work??
hover the mouse over the image like preview?
i am unable to view the exif for either image... using Safari if that matters

The second one doesn't have exif, but Safari should work. Make sure you have a fresh copy of the site since some new files were added to make this work.

wev

Contributor

I am seeing the error in the time stamp, too. This is from a pic I took at 4:02:42 PM, PST)

2014-03-13_174734.png

Pretzel

Yup, mine are reflecting times about 4-5 hours earlier than they were taken as well.

The good news is, I think I've documented the 1st ever mid-afternoon sunset in Oklahoma!!

AxeMan - Rick S.

Not to complicate things, but so you know I use a Google Chrome extension EXIF viewer. The two do not interfere with each other and like this image, which the site says, has no EXIF the extension can read the EXIF.

Capture.jpg

If anyone would like to download the extension you MUST HAVE CHROME and it can be found here.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/exif-viewer/mmbhfeiddhndihdjeganjggkmjapkffm?hl=en-US

I’m sure there are other EXIF programs out there; I happen to like this one because it runs in the background of chrome and shows a little Icon when available.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member

Not to complicate things, but so you know I use a Google Chrome extension EXIF viewer. The two do not interfere with each other and like this image, which the site says, has no EXIF the extension can read the EXIF.

View attachment 77245

If anyone would like to download the extension you MUST HAVE CHROME and it can be found here.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/exif-viewer/mmbhfeiddhndihdjeganjggkmjapkffm?hl=en-US

I’m sure there are other EXIF programs out there; I happen to like this one because it runs in the background of chrome and shows a little Icon when available.

I use that one too. If you download that image it doesn't have EXIF. I'm guessing the plugin is actually getting it from flickr

BackdoorArts

One very annoying thing is that on attached but not resized images (like the first one) if you want to enlarge it you have to move to the part of the image not blocked by the EXIF pop-up. This is not obvious at first and while I've grown used to it, I suspect some may just believe that the images are just that size and cannot be enlarged.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member

One very annoying thing is that on attached but not resized images (like the first one) if you want to enlarge it you have to move to the part of the image not blocked by the EXIF pop-up. This is not obvious at first and while I've grown used to it, I suspect some may just believe that the images are just that size and cannot be enlarged.

When I rebuild exif for old images I have to redo the thumbnails. I was thinking of making them bigger at the same time.

sent from my phone