Nikon 18-140

Esayjay

hi,
i want to exchange my 55-200mm with a 18-140mm.because of extra range at the wider end.there are times in which i really wish i could get more into the frame.and right now i cannot afford to buy really expensive wide angle lenses.so is this the right decision?is there any difference in the quality of images?and which one is gonna be sharper? and better?

Esayjay

18-140 on nikon d5200.

hi,
i want to exchange my 55-200mm with a 18-140mm.because of extra range at the wider end.there are times in which i really wish i could get more into the frame.and right now i cannot afford to buy really expensive wide angle lenses.so is this the right decision?is there any difference in the quality of images?and which one is gonna be sharper? and better?

Horoscope Fish

Re: 18-140 on nikon d5200.

hi,
We can't tell you if it's the right decision or not but the image quality between the two lenses will be the same. Personally, I would find the 18-140mm more useable, but that's me.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you can't afford an expensive lens, I would suggest you to get a 18-55. Considered as a "kit" lens, this lens would give you the width you need while not breaking the bank.

Great lenses are expensive, but sometimes it pays to buy once instead of 2 or 3 times before you get what you want. If you just want a wider lens, the 18-55 would be excellent.

As far as sharpness goes, the sharpest lens is the one used on a tripod. If you want sharp and fast, better start saving now.

nickt

I would take the 18-140 over the 55-200. I have a 55-200 from my early days. When you really want zoom, its not enough and like you have found, its not wide enough for a lot of things. Eventually if you want a good zoom, you will end up with a 70-300 or longer and you will mostly use it at the long end. You will get plenty of everyday use from the 18-140. You could also consider the 18-105, but if the 140 was available when I bought, I would probably have gotten that.

DraganDL

-The most logical step for you, would be to buy a kit 18-55mm - it is cheap, covers enough of the wide angle range and performs SLIGHTLY better (in terms of overall quality) compared to 18-135mm and 18-140mm - while keeping the 55-200mm.
-Even better than this would be a 16-85mm (especially if you really want to reduce your gear to only one lens, for the time being, and later to purchase a good telephoto zoom) but it is a rather expensive lens (though, you might find one on the flea market, in a mint condition)...
-If you are sure that you want to restrict yourself to only one lens (to have a real ''all-around" zoom), then sell this 55-200mm and buy a 18-200mm Sigma (a well preserved second hand item will do, if you cannot afford a brand new one) http://goo.gl/jFjuEe

Last edited: