d5200 soft shots

foo

Why do my shots seem so soft , what do I adjust to make them look eyepopping.
Only I can't see it being the kit lens , all help appreciated , Thank you. :D

Dave_W

The Dude
Soft shots and "eye popping" shots seem like two different things. By "soft shots" do you mean your focus is a little off and not tight or do you mean the results ;you are getting are kind of dull and not vibrant?

foo

The shots seem soft , but the camera is at factory default settings.
Look fine in viewfinder nice and sharp focus is spot on .
Just seem soft when I put them on laptop .
They kind of need sharpening up tad.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

kluisi

The shots seem soft , but the camera is at factory default settings.
Look fine in viewfinder nice and sharp focus is spot on .
Just seem soft when I put them on laptop .
They kind of need sharpening up tad.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Are you shooting RAW? If so, the image you're seeing on your camera's LCD has been processed into a JPG for display. It probably has some picture effect put on it as well as some sharpening. You need to do some of that in post processing if you want to shoot RAW with your camera (which I suggest that you do). You will have much more freedom to get the most out of your photos if you do, but it does add work and time on to the back end.

wev

Contributor
If you have the camera sharpen setting set to default, it is at -3; change it to +6 or 7 and you will get better results. See page 87 in the pdf manual.

Dave_W

The Dude
So many things are involved in obtaining sharp images. The primary one is camera shake followed by proper shutter speed. If you're serious about getting to the bottom of this issue, post a soft image (or two) along with all the EXIF data. I suspect we may see the issue right away.

Dave_W

The Dude
If you're shooting RAW (and you should) then in-camera sharpening will have no effect. 95% of soft images boil down to camera shake and shutter speed.

kluisi

I agree with Dave...The in camera sharpening is probably what the OP is seeing on the back of the camera after he takes the picture (where the pic looks good), but then on the computer he is seeing the unsharpened RAW image.

foo

I have altered the sharpening setting in the menu to + 7 , and its fine now , shots are where they should be .
Thanks for all help and suggestions .
Its set really low .
Just that mebu takes some digging into , but soon get used to it.:)

Mike D90

I have altered the sharpening setting in the menu to + 7 , and its fine now , shots are where they should be .
Thanks for all help and suggestions .
Its set really low .
Just that menu takes some digging into , but soon get used to it.:)

Next you need to graduate to shooting RAW and post sharpening and adjustments using a good image editor like LightRoom and/or Photoshop. So much more is possible when you shoot RAW and develop them yourself if they were taken/exposed correctly to begin with.

AristillusUK

As one poster mentioned earlier, there are a number of variables why your images may be soft. Using too small an aperture on digital cameras can cause image softness due to diffraction. Try shooting at f.11; f.8; and f.5.6. Use the lowest ISO setting, usually ISO100, and ensure you use a tripod with VR set to off. Best wishes.

foo

As one poster mentioned earlier, there are a number of variables why your images may be soft. Using too small an aperture on digital cameras can cause image softness due to diffraction. Try shooting at f.11; f.8; and f.5.6. Use the lowest ISO setting, usually ISO100, and ensure you use a tripod with VR set to off. Best wishes.
This post is from march and was resolved via using Lightroom 5 , but thanks for your input,
You may wish to take a look at other photos posted for the results from this camera D 5200 E.G post your flower shots ,using the 50mm 1.8g lens. Enjoy, if you get it its a great camera.

aroy

Have you checked your eyes. It may seem a moot point, but slight power will get your images off focus. In my case even with glasses I am slightly off. So the point of best focus is a bit off. I have to rely on AF or the range finder to nail the focus.