18-55mmG VR-II

aroy

I got this lense as a bundle with my D3300.

18-55-1.jpg
The lense
18-55-3.jpg
Retracted
18-55-2.jpg
Extended for use. The lense extend to its maximum length at 55mm and 18mm. The lense has minimum length at 35mm.

Today I went out to Connaught Place, at one time the centre of Delhi and premier shopping centre.
Connaught Place (now renamed Rajiv Chowk) is a circular structure of around half a kilometer diameter, with shops at the circumference and a park in the middle. The park has multiple metro lines under it.

Most of the shots were taken at 18mm.
_DSC0129.jpg
Shops in the inner circle
_DSC0130.jpg
Lay out of Delhi Metro network
_DSC0131.jpg
Vendors selling food
_DSC0132.jpg
Items displayed on footpath
_DSC0133.jpg
Imitation Jewellery
_DSC0134.jpg
Vendor arranging imitation jewellery. On the right are hand looms and leather goods.
_DSC0136.jpg
Battery powered rickshaws. They are slowly augmenting the petrol/cng powered ones, which may be phased out in near future.
_DSC0138.jpg
Fast food Indian style

The next two shots show how much DR the sensor has. Details of shadows leap out by adjusting the levels in Software
_DSC0140.jpg
What came out of the camera
_DSC0140a.jpg
A fast fix.Just fiddled with exposure compensation to get the data from shadows. With proper curve the shadows can be boosted, while the highlights are left alone. Will start working on setting up custom curves for high DR shots.

There are many more interesting shots, which I will upload later. My dog is nudging my elbow for his evening walk. Impossible to work when he is in that mood.

Last edited:

DraganDL

Useful lens, interesting places to visit and take photos of. Be it because of your dog's nudging or something else, your photos tend to elevate to the left (on most of them, horizon should be corrected for some 2-2.5 degrees clockwise -this often happens, especially when one is shooting at wide angles).:encouragement:

corrected.jpg

Last edited:

aroy

Useful lens, interesting places to visit and take photos of. Be it because of your dog's nudging or something else, your photos tend to elevate to the left (on most of them, horizon should be corrected for some 2-2.5 degrees clockwise -this often happens, especially when one is shooting at wide angles).:encouragement:
Yes now that you have pointed it out, I notice it. It may be due to the glasses I wear. I have to juggle a lot to get the full view including the bottom line. Will be more careful in future.

One thing I liked about the Nikon software is how easy it is to straighten the photograph - just run the Horizontal/Vertical tool line along the edge to be aligned and it is straitened, but I guess doing it right in camera is a better method.

aroy

Problem solved. There seems to have been a glitch either with my ISP or the Nikonites server. The files just would not upload. In my quaint effort to debug the situation I inadvertently deleted all the files from my gallery. Now I am editing all posts where I have posted photographs by deleting the earlier insertions (they still show when I am in the edit mode, but do not display in the post)!

So here are more photographs taken yesterday. Please note that I have done minimum manipulation in post - mostly adjusting exposure compensation and D Lighting levels. At a later date when I have the time I will create a custom curve so that the shadows are recovered but the highlights are maintained at the original level.

_DSC0146.jpg
Gujarati hand worked pieces

_DSC0149.jpg
Embroidered purses

_DSC0150.jpg
Wall hanging
_DSC0151.jpg
Dhol the Indian drum. Here I tried to meter on the seller, but that blew the highlights. Now I will just meter on the highlights and then recover shadows. This works at 100 and 200ISO, but beyond that the DR drops fast.

_DSC0152.jpg
Cobbler cum Boot Polish man.

_DSC0156.jpg
Terracotta Masks

_DSC0158.jpg
Lacquered bangles

_DSC0159.jpg
More masks - Clay, Brass and Wooden

_DSC0162.jpg
Pan seller. The shop keeper on the right is having a bad day - no customers!

_DSC0164.jpg
_DSC0165.jpg
This is where my wife started haggling and spent half an hour for 4 cushion covers.

_DSC0167.jpg
From the look I think my wife got better of her.

_DSC0168.jpg
Florist. I wanted to take shots of the flowers but by then my wife caught up urged me on.

aroy

Today I went back to see if the D3300 with the 18-55 will print big.

_DSC0129.jpg
The original shot taken handheld.

_DSC0129a.jpg
Detail of the hoarding on the top right side. When viewed on the screen it was reasonably sharp. I estimate that this photograph will print sharp on A3 (12" x 18") and with some post work go upto A2 (18" x 24"). With a tripod the shot should get sharper and an A2 print of a landscape taken at around f8 at ISO 100 on a tripod will be display quality.

aroy

Today I visited the Temple complex next to our house. It consists of three temples, and has extensive gardens with flowers in full bloom. Most of the shots are at 18mm.

As I did not want to create one large post I have split it into three.
- External shots of the temple and its surroundings
- Internal shots
- Flowers

The external shots

_DSC0206.jpg
View from the front across gardens
_DSC0207.jpg
Front View

_DSC0212.jpg
View from the rear

_DSC0217.jpg
Close up of the Left Temple - Shiv Mandir

_DSC0225.jpg
Close up of the Right Temple - Krishna Mandir

_DSC0236.jpg
Close up of the Central Temple - Kali Mandir

_DSC0213.jpg
As you would expect people to behave

Last edited:

aroy

Continuing with my temple visit.

Internal Shots

_DSC0215.jpg
Central Temple (Kali Mandir) - side view

_DSC0232.jpg
Central Temple- front view

_DSC0233.jpg
Central Temple- front view at 55mm

_DSC0216.jpg
Left Temple - Shiv Mandir

_DSC0226.jpg
Right Temple - Krishna Mandir

_DSC0228.jpg
Right Temple Details

_DSC0218.jpg
Right Temple - left of the entrance

_DSC0219.jpg
Details of the above

_DSC0220.jpg
Internal Bass Relief work

_DSC0221.jpg

_DSC0222.jpg
Details of a pillar

_DSC0223.jpg

_DSC0224.jpg

_DSC0229.jpg

_DSC0230.jpg

_DSC0231.jpg
Details of a pillar

Last edited:

aroy

Continuing my temple visit

Gardens and flowers

_DSC0210.jpg
Overview of the garden in front of the Temple

_DSC0208.jpg

_DSC0241.jpg

_DSC0242.jpg

_DSC0245.jpg

_DSC0249.jpg

_DSC0250.jpg

_DSC0251.jpg

_DSC0254.jpg

_DSC0255.jpg

_DSC0256.jpg

On the whole I am satisfied with the 18-55 lense. Here are my observations

. The AF at close distance is a bit off, hence manual focus gives sharper images.
. The MF with this lense using the view finder is quite easy and it is possible to focus precisely on the screen it self. I use the green dot for longer shots only. At close range with the lense wide open the shallow DOF is all that is needed for spot on focussing
. The lense is a bit of a disappointment at the long end - a bit soft. So I will use this lense as a wide angle lense only. The longer end is for emergencies only. At long end I will use my 50mm F1.8 AF, even though with this body it supports MF only.

Lawrence

Too early to make a decision on using it only at 18mm. I have taken some really good shots with the 18-55mm at all lengths. Try some close ups of insects - I have had some good sharp pictures doing that.
These are a great series and really nice to see a bit of India through your lens. Keep 'em coming please.

aroy

Too early to make a decision on using it only at 18mm. I have taken some really good shots with the 18-55mm at all lengths. Try some close ups of insects - I have had some good sharp pictures doing that.
These are a great series and really nice to see a bit of India through your lens. Keep 'em coming please.
1. I shot quite a few at 55mm, but they all are softer than at 18mm. The previous lens was best at 24, I will try that next. For longer length I have 50mm f1.8 and 105mm F2.8.

I will try to present my shots on various aspects of life in India. I will have yet to decide where to post it. Ideas are welcome.

aroy

Today we had a party at one of my friend's place. I used the 18-55 extensively to take pictures of flowers. Then I though I should try the 55mm side. So I took a lot of portraits. Here are some examples

_DSC0424.jpg
The host

_DSC0415.jpg
The hostess

_DSC0419.jpg
My Cigar chomping friend. woe betide you if you have a lighter. He will borrow it and finish the gas in one session.

Last edited:

aroy

A stroll around our colony produced these images

Trees

_DSC0634.jpg

_DSC0635.jpg
Jack fruit - just started

_DSC0641.jpg

_DSC0649.jpg
Morning mist

_DSC0667.jpg
Walking path

_DSC0668.jpg
Only seed pods remain

_DSC0681.jpg
Mango tree in my backyard - buds just coming up

aroy

Now a days I am concentrating more on the 50mm, but here are some portraits taken with the 18-55

_DSC0778.jpg

_DSC0803.jpg
Our Gardener

_DSC0806.jpg
Maid

aroy

It rained in the morning here are some images

_DSC1257.jpg
View from my balcony

_DSC1284.jpg
The only way I could get a sharp shot (no wind!)

_DSC1272.jpg
Mango blossoms coming up

_DSC1279.jpg
Testing my skill in holding the camera steady