HDR Photos: Axeman

AxeMan - Rick S.

DSC_8214_15_16_17_18_19_20_tonemapped photomatix.jpg

This is my first attempt at HDR. The shot was not set up HDR, just something I had from last year. I am working on another version of this shot without all the building in the background. I've done this already in CS5 HDR, but Photomatix does a much better job at HDR.

AxeMan - Rick S.

DSC_0106_7_8_tonemapped.jpg

It was suggested that it would be nice to bring out the color on the bricks on this shot. The only shame on this photo that it was shot on a cloudy day. Now that I can bracket here is the result.

jengajoh

The first one looks really cool with the light coming through the cloud. I like the color of the bricks on the second and the bright green building behind it. Very nice.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
What a difference Rick, I really like the tower in HDR, the other shot is just as great.
I think I will give photomatix a chance.
Marcel

Rick M

I really like the second shot, looks almost like a sketch. The tree limbs and vines kinda blend together and it looks as if the trees are envelopeing the structure. The image really draws you into studying it, very nice.

Joseph Bautsch

AxMan, your second shot is a great example of using HDR to create a very good piece of photographic art. The composition and pastel colors are outstanding. More people need to think of HDR as a creative tool and not just an end in itself.

fotojack

Great HDR shot, Rick. That's how I like to see HDR shots. Super well done! :) And including the 3 bracket shots........nice touch. :)

AxeMan - Rick S.

DSC_1758.jpg

Feeling good about this one but holding off for the weekly challenge. Got a couple of more ideas I want to try, still early to post.

(Work in progress not final)

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Rick, I find the front of the train could get a little contrast boost. This can probably be done with your post production software.
Good shot.

Joseph Bautsch

Good shot Rick. Really good composition. I like the way the depth of field drops off going back from the engine. It puts more emphasis on this behemoth of a machine. The sky around the engine, especially in the dark clouds needs to be burned in. There is a light hallo there that is distracting. I also agree with Marcel the front of the engine needs a little more contrast. If possible I would also like to see a little more room around the left edge of the shot and the engine. If you would give us the EXIF data so we can see how you arrived at the HDR merger.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Capture.JPG

EV + /- 2.0

DSC_2242.jpg

DSC_2243.jpg

DSC_2244.jpg

NON HDR IMAGE

"Jobaria" is a sauropod (long-necked) dinosaur discovered in the Sahara Desert in 1997 by Dr. Paul Sereno of the University of Chicago. It was named “Jobar,” a creature of local legends, is 65 feet tall (non-rearing) and probably weighed close to 20 tons. It is likely that, similar to other sauropods, Jobaria would have traveled in small herds or family groups.

Jobaria was found in the Tiouraren Formation, originally thought to represent the Hauterivian to Barremian stages of the early Cretaceous Period, or approximately 136 to 125 million years ago.

The Jobaria is mounted here (NON HDR IMAGE) in a rearing position—total height about 35 feet tall.