New Nikon owner, need Flash info...

Amber Rae

Since the D610 is my new baby and first Nikon, I'm lost on what to look for in quality and price. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good flash for the D610, that isn't going to murder my wallet?

rocketman122

you have a few options.

if you plan on regular on camera flash and wont need anything more. meaning, creative wise, you wont want to do off camera flash, use them with umbrellas/softboxes with wireless slaves or use them outdoors for fill light and HSS, then an Sb600 will be fine. or a yongnuo 565 467II 468II are just fine. there are other companies like triopo, neewer, sunpak, nissin, sigma and some others. you can use any of these flashes I listed as off camera flash with a wireless slave and the 565 and Sb600 will work with your cameras built in flash to fire remotely off camera if you want to get creative. personally, Nikons CLS sucks ***.

if you would want to take your photography up a level, down the line (wow that sounded corny), then the SB700(330) or even a used SB800 (250 used)will be great. yongnuo have the 568 (175 shipped) flagship. and there's a great flash from phottix. the mitros (300)and mitros plus (400 the plus has wireless triggering built in) it has all the bells and whistles of the Sb-910 including the power and refresh speed at almost less than half the price and 2 years warranty. personally, if you really need extra warranty, get mack diamond warranty for $50. its 3 years and its like an all risk insurance. if it falls and breaks, they fix/replace it. if you take it to the beach and it corrodes and falls in the water they fix/replace it. since I work with my equipment, I dont buy a piece of gear without it. you have to decide if you need or dont. the flagship nikon is the SB910. I think its too much flash for you if its a day to day, a little family, friends, some studio work and the like. $550 bucks is not cheap.way overpriced IMO.

Pretzel

Since the D610 is my new baby and first Nikon, I'm lost on what to look for in quality and price. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good flash for the D610, that isn't going to murder my wallet?

1) Welcome to the mayhem! (if I haven't said so already)

The Sb-700 is a good flash or the yongnuo flash brand of flashes are pretty good and cheaper.

Like what Scott said.

you have a few options.

if you would want to take your photography up a level, down the line (wow that sounded corny), then the SB700(330) or even a used SB800 (250 used)will be great.

2) The other flashes mentioned are pretty durn good as well, don't get me wrong, but... IMO, if you made the investment in the D610, don't scrimp on the flash. Obviously, I picked apart comments above to show a common theme, and I support it as well with my vote. Get at least the SB-700. It's built to work with your Nikon from firsthand knowledge, works wonderfully on camera AND wireless with very little effort, and is one helluva flash. Just my .02, as I've only been diving into the Nikon world for just under a year and a half.

rocketman122

1)
2) The other flashes mentioned are pretty durn good as well, don't get me wrong, but... IMO, if you made the investment in the D610, don't scrimp on the flash. Obviously, I picked apart comments above to show a common theme, and I support it as well with my vote. Get at least the SB-700. It's built to work with your Nikon from firsthand knowledge, works wonderfully on camera AND wireless with very little effort, and is one helluva flash. Just my .02, as I've only been diving into the Nikon world for just under a year and a half.

I have to agree. if you can get the SB700. its still quite expensive and if not, the a used Sb800 is just as great. its EXACTLY the same size as a an SB700, much more powerful (on par more or less with the Sb900 and more powerful than the 910), has a battery port as well. people forget that before the SB900/910 came out, it was the flagship model. it has everything youll need and is VERY relevant even today. truthfully, with the high iso the D600/610 do, a really powerful flash is less relevant today. I buy new so it would be the Sb700 for me. it just recycles so fast and the power is just fine.

A nice link of the flashes compared.

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/flashes-compared.htm

what I hate about the newer nikon flashes is the foot gets loose over time and start rocking back and forth. feels like its going to fall off. really pitiful design. give me a turn to tighten wheel anyday over this flip and lock switch. its easy and convenient but you can do anything to tighten the flash

Last edited:

rocketman122

great video showing SB800/900/910/700 recycle times. man I love my Sb700. fast as hell for recycling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RMQpXXnhqQ#t=201

the 910 recycles the same as the SB800 and are powered about the same. So I think they just lowered the power on it instead of redesigning it completely. they tried to be bold with the 900, but it was too powerful and cooling was a fail with it. nikon has some way to go flash. theyre trailing far behind canon imo.

Amber Rae

1) Welcome to the mayhem! (if I haven't said so already)

The D610 is why my camera fund is on 'E', lol. I was in the local camera shop yesterday for a remote shutter release, just a quick in and out trip but I think I caught a glimpse of a SB900. What are the opinions of buying used?

Amber Rae

great video showing SB800/900/910/700 recycle times. man I love my Sb700. fast as hell for recycling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RMQpXXnhqQ#t=201

the 910 recycles the same as the SB800 and are powered about the same. So I think they just lowered the power on it instead of redesigning it completely. they tried to be bold with the 900, but it was too powerful and cooling was a fail with it. nikon has some way to go flash. theyre trailing far behind canon imo.

I love "fast as hell". Lol! With my first little DSLR, I bought a cheap-o flash just because I wanted to learn. Well, I learned real quick that I hated that flash. I kid you not, it took 10 minutes for the flash to recycle. I'm very impatient and am an instant gratification kinda girl, so this particular flash did not get used.

rocketman122

The D610 is why my camera fund is on 'E', lol. I was in the local camera shop yesterday for a remote shutter release, just a quick in and out trip but I think I caught a glimpse of a SB900. What are the opinions of buying used?

The D610 Costs a lot of money. One can get the d7100 for even less with more features in it. I would suggest you not touch the 900. If its new, you get warranty but used? I wouldnt buy it. Get the sb700 Or a used sb800. Justa fyi, I have a feeling yongnuo might ease the 568 markii for nikon. I spoke to them and was told its in testing phases. Just tale it with a garin of salt. Not sure when though. I also think nikon are working on a wireless radio triggered flash. I think (my guess.) it might be this summer.

Pretzel

If I know the photographer, or at least know secondhand that they've probably taken good care of their equipment, I don't mind buying used. I think I'd also buy used from a local camera shop if the owner or employees that know their business have looked at it and think it's in good condition. With that in mind, though, most photographers I know are holding on to their equipment, and I'm leery of random Craigslist postings unless they're willing to allow some fairly in-depth testing, which isn't often the case. That's why I tend to go to Adorama or Cameta and consider "factory refurbished" options more often. Then, it just depends on the price difference from there.

I bought my 70-300 refurb because the price difference warranted the move, but when I was considering flashes, the refurb price vs. the new price just wasn't enough to convince me, so I waited one more pay period and bought the new.

Again, just my .02. The SB-900 is an expensive beast for sure, though. Sure, it's got the extra power, and a bit faster recycle time, but it makes up for it with bulk. Granted, when I tried both on my camera, I was thinking of it from a D3100 point of view, but I think it would still feel that way on the D610 too. *shrug* I guess at that point it really boils down to what you'll be using the flash for on a regular basis? Is it producing income, or more for the lower pressures of "love this art form?"

I know that if ya Google SB900 vs. SB700, there are a LOT of discussions out there that will convince you to buy both! Enjoy your new flashes!!​LOL

rocketman122

like what Pretzel said, you dont know the history of the flash. granted, I bought a used SB700. I checked the flash and got a nice price so all in all happy, but meh. not WOW WHATA KICK *** DEAL! one tell tale of its age? pull out the diffuser and look at the white bounce card closely. it might show scratches that should tell you everything. look at the foot the most though and inside the batter chamber. turn the flash head and look at the plastics that are exposed. also look at the Fresnel lens (flash head) if its yellowish, move on.