Help! which camera to buy?

rosejest

I have a dilema, I have 3 options of cameras and dont know which to purchase.
They are the Nikon D200, D3000 or a D5000
All are used but so close in price, and I dont want a kit camera. Any sugestions as to which one to pursue?

JoeLewisPhotography

You left out 1 bit of important information. Your skill level. The D3000 and D50000 are pretty similar cameras. The D3000 being geared more for beginners, and the D5000 for beginner/intermediate levels. Both are great cameras and will yield nice pictures. Both are relatively easy to use, small and light weight.

The D200 is getting up there as far as skill level goes. Its a feature rich camera, that is much larger than the other 2. If you are a beginner, you may be overwhelmed by the features and functionallity of it. It is an older camera, and lacks some of the newer technology....more specifically, video.

If your new to DSLR's I would suggest starting near the bottom...with the 3000 or the 5000....and work your way up...Thats what I did, and i believe its the best way. if they are all the same price, the 5000 would be my choice as a beginner. At a moderate level and having a firm grasp at DSLR's, I would go for the D200.

In any event, they will all produce nice pictures....and you cant really go wrong with any of them...you need to pick whats right for YOUR needs. You are the one that has to use it.

Also you mentioned you dont want a "kit" camera? Can you elaborate a bit more as to what you mean?

Last edited:

rosejest

Thanks, That helps alot.
As for skill level, I believe I'd say intermediete, as I am still taking camera workshops here and there.
I love using aperture settings and no flash if possible.
As for kits; I had a pentax kit (lens & body) before and although it was good, it was light weight and they say kit lenses are made cheap.

New with video would be nice too...

JoeLewisPhotography

new with video, and intermediate, then the 5k would be a great choice. the kit lenses are nothing to write home about in most cases, (especially with *caugh* canon) but Nikon's kit lenses arent all that bad.... so keep that in mind too. However, if money permits, I will never discourage someone from spending it on good glass.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
This is a little difficult to answer. What you have to figure out first is what do you like to photograph. This will help you make a decision. If you just like to take a camera with you as often as possible, I'd go with the 5000. If you like to work in a studio on a tripod, the 200 would be better. Now I don't know you, but I suspect from your username that you are female. I don't know if you're strong and enjoy carrying heavy stuff. This will become important if you start to carry all your lenses with you. Yes, "kit lenses" are light, but this can be a + too.
What is going to be the output for your images? If it is just going to be to post on the net, the quality of lenses will be less important since the photos are going to be small. If you want to earn a living with a camera, then this will be another factor.

So, to resume my thoughts, D5000 if you want to take a lot of pictures with a camera that will be easy to take with you, D200 if you plan on working on a tripod in a studio or to set up shots.
And don't forget that it is real easy to get caught in the "I need this lens" kind of attitude. I suggest you do as many shots as you can with what you will get BEFORE focusing mainly on what camera or lens is better. The equipment although important will not push the shutter. You have to be in charge of that aspect.
Welcome to this forum and happy shooting.

Marcel

fotojack

All good advice from all the posters above. By the way.....the D200 is considered a pro camera by Nikon. Although it is not made anymore, it's more camera than you'll ever need, believe me! :) I wouldn't trade or sell mine for anything! And as for "kit" lenses; I never liked the term, as it implies a certain level of cheapness. While not expensive, the 18-55mm lens that comes with a lot of beginner level cameras is an excellent lens; actually one of the best lens at this focal level out there. So don't discount this lens! It will turn out to be one of your favourite walk around lenses for everyday shooting. Also, like Joe Lewis said, I'd never discourage anyone from buying good glass.
In short, if you want to get an excellent quality camera that will last you a very long time, get the D200. Lots of help in here for that camera.
If you want to take video also, and pretty good shots, get one of the other cameras, such as the D5000.
As always, the ultimate decision is up to you. If it feels good in your hands.....buy it! :)
With the D200, you can use a lot of the older lenses with it, whereas the other cameras won't be able to Auto Focus with certain lenses. Check out Wikipedia for details on all the cameras you're interested in. All the info is out there. :) Let us know what you finally decide.

Joseph Bautsch

Neither the D3000 or the D5000 have built in lens focus drives. So with those bodies if you want auto focus you will need to buy all AF-S type lenses. These lenses have the silent wave motor built in to them. The D200 has the a lens focus motor drive built in the body and can use any lens with or without the silent wave focus drive.

Curt

Without question the D200, I have one and it is a fantastic camera that you will be able to grow with, while the D3000 & D5000 you will grow out of.

Browncoat

This is a no-brainer in my opinion. If they're all similar in price, get the D200. It's much more camera for the money.

Ruidoso Bill

The D200 does not do video, so if that is a requirement as stated then the D200 is not for you. I've had my D200 for several years and love it. It isn't a real high ISO performer which is why I also have a D300. The D200 is a rock solid, perfectly made camera body, but about a 5 year old technology. Bodies in the same price range include the D90 which is a newer technology, does video and will also give you lots of room to grow.

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
Without question the D200, I have one and it is a fantastic camera that you will be able to grow with, while the D3000 & D5000 you will grow out of

I think this says it the best . . . get a camera you can grow with and not outgrow. I love mine.
Good luck on your decision.

theregsy

If you can afford the D200, then the D2x might be worth keeping an eye out for. I got one used for £200. So they are out there at a good price. IMO its a great camera, if you don't mind the weight, shoots well in Auto mode but has the full suite of pro knobs and buttons and that legendary Nikon pro build quality. I moved from a Fuji S2 pro to this, it looks daunting but Nikon's first class ergonomics means it works like a charm and takes little learning, although I suspect that I will never outgrow it :) if not then the D200 would be my choice :)
good luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:

PavementPilot

I see you all missed one comment from the OP. 'Likes shooting without flash'
I would suggest the D3100 then. It has the best ISO handling of the three listed by the OP. The other issue is the age and usage of the D200. I take it the D200 is used, and the D300 would be new as well as the D5000. For those costs, I would go with the ISO handling for no flash.

eric321

It depends upon your skill level as everyone said. A good entry level camera will be Nikon D3100 and if you want something advance than consider Nikon D200. It all depends upon the your requirement for what purpose you need the camera.

kendrikwiley

It is quit confusing to choose a camera for a photography because there are plenty of choices and opportunities that can be available at there.There are many camera making companies in the market which provides different functionality and features in digital camera.