Converting 35mm film with a DSLR...

dwhopson

Hi everyone,

(moderator - if in wrong place, please relocate!)

I'm new to the nikon DSLR system. One question I have - and I can't seem to find an answer via the search function - is regarding the use of nikon DSLRs for converting 35mm film to digital.

i know when I was using my pentax gear it wasn't much of an issue...just add/reconfigure a bellows unit and slide copier and off I went...I was using m42/screw mount equipment for this.

What techniques are people using with nikon DSLRs to achive similar results?

i know that attaching a screw mount (m42) lens won't allow for infinity focus via a m42 adaptor...but would that matter when connecting to a bellows unit where the lens is at the other end of the rail? Of course everything is manual (exposure/focus) with this setup...but this would allow me to continue to use my bellows unit and 35mm film transfer setup.

Thanks for any insight!

DraganDL

I don't see any problem here - a friend (and a colleague) of mine uses a "slide duplicator" which is a m42, attached to adapter m42/Nikon F bayonet. So, if you still own that duplicator, and want to use it with Nikon cameras, just find an adapter for m42 lenses (for Nikon to accept m42 lenses).

dwhopson

Great to hear. I didn't sell off any of my pentax film or legacy gear, so it will be nice to at least get some use from a few of these things.

Thanks!

kluisi

Hi everyone,

(moderator - if in wrong place, please relocate!)

I'm new to the nikon DSLR system. One question I have - and I can't seem to find an answer via the search function - is regarding the use of nikon DSLRs for converting 35mm film to digital.

i know when I was using my pentax gear it wasn't much of an issue...just add/reconfigure a bellows unit and slide copier and off I went...I was using m42/screw mount equipment for this.

What techniques are people using with nikon DSLRs to achive similar results?

i know that attaching a screw mount (m42) lens won't allow for infinity focus via a m42 adaptor...but would that matter when connecting to a bellows unit where the lens is at the other end of the rail? Of course everything is manual (exposure/focus) with this setup...but this would allow me to continue to use my bellows unit and 35mm film transfer setup.

Thanks for any insight!

Depends if you want to scan positives (slides) or negatives. Both seem to be possible relatively inexpensively (after you get the camera gear of course). Here are a couple of DIY links:

Slides:
Scanning slides using a DSLR FAST! - YouTube

Negatives:
Scanning Film Negatives with a DSLR

Good luck.