Macro lens for D3100

fotojack

Anything from Tokina or Tamron in the 60mm to 105mm range will do nicely. I myself like the 85mm range, but that's a personal preference.

JoeLewisPhotography

when it comes to camera lenses, the words "good" and "cheap" do not belong in the same sentence. If you want inexpensive, with decent results, look into extension tubes to use with your current lens. I have seen people get pretty good results from $80 tubes....but if you want great results your going to have to drop atleast $500-ish. A good starting point is the Nikon 60mm.

heldervert

Thank you very much...actually I'm just a newbie in photography...my d3100 is just 2-weeks old and also I'm very new to photography...sir can you guide me or what advice can you give???

Last edited by a moderator:

PavementPilot

I would first try macro filters, they are cheap and you can see if you want to go further down this path. If so, then I would try extension tubes. If you like your results, then stay with the tubes. If not, and you really like macro, then take the step and get a true macro lens.

fotojack

Thank you very much...actually I'm just a newbie in photography...my d3100 is just 2-weeks old and also I'm very new to photography...sir can you guide me or what advice can you give???

Good advice from Pavement and JoeLewis. Just remember.....with Nikon, macro and micro are the same thing. :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I've been pretty happy with my Sigma 105 macro. I don't remember how much it was, but it's sharp and does what it has to do. If I would have to buy another one, I'd take a 60mm though. The 105 doesn't give me much depth of field in the very close range.

PavementPilot

Just a note on extension tubes; make sure you get the AF-S tubes, so that the camera knows and works with the lens attached. There are other extension tubes out there that do not have the contacts built in.

heldervert

thanks guys..especially mr pavement...ill try to look for those filters or tubes..i hope its available here in saudi arabia...actually im from the Philippines but im just working here...thank you very much....

PavementPilot

You can shop on eBay. If you are fimiliar with checking the sellers scores and shipping methods. I have had fairly good experiences shopping this way. I do not know what shipping to Saudi Arabia will be like.

And please, its just PavementPilot. Thanks.

heldervert

thanks sir...ill try on ebay or amazon...honestly i haven't tried any of them or any online shopping...sometimes im just afraid to give my credit card number...AS-F 55-300mm 4.5-5.6G ED VRII DX ??? is it good with d3100???

PavementPilot

I never purchase from eBay with my CC (Credit Card). Get a Paypal account from www.paypal.com and set up your CC there. It's secure and the seller/vendor never sees your CC #. You can also link to your bank account, if your country's government has allowed it.

The 55-300mm on my D3100 is fairly sharp. I'm satisfied with the results I get.

Ranie

I would first try macro filters, they are cheap and you can see if you want to go further down this path. If so, then I would try extension tubes. If you like your results, then stay with the tubes. If not, and you really like macro, then take the step and get a true macro lens.

Remember guys, the quality of your output will depend on the glass that you use. When using macro filters, the glass filter becomes part of the equation. I have not seen or tried a micro filter that satisfies me. Almost all of them are made from cheap glass, that's why they are cheap.... LOL. But kidding aside, I would not go this way. Extension tubes are way much better.

Another thing, this will be used on a D3100. That body does not have an in-body motor. Only AF-S lenses will AF on that body. He will have to go manual on other lenses.

heldervert

kabayan kmsta??..im just new in photography that's why i really needed some advice...saudi me kabayan...our problem here in saudi is that we cant just take a picture of everything..its prohibited here..so our optios here is limited...kabayan gaganda namn ng mga kuha mo