Do I really need a different lens?

mantab

I just purchased a D3200 that came with a 18-55 lens and a 55-200 lens. The salesperson recommended I get a fixed 35mm lens for what I want to do. I did buy it, but I'm questioning if I really need it or not. I intend to use the camera and lens for product pictures for my website. I think I will be using the close-up mode for my shots, because most items are small. Any suggestions on the best way to do this. Also, 1 other question to those that know. I see there are 3 size settings for the image size, small, medium and large. Can anyone recommend what size I should set it at? I will have to shrink the picture down to a 600pxl size for the website, so is it better to take the picture in the large size? thanks

ShootRaw

Yes having a fast prime will help you in low light..Sharper as well. I would shoot in raw to reap all the benefits..You would need LR 5 to do your editing..If you must shoot in J-peg..Put on fine j-peg medium..

DraganDL

Taking a photo at a higher resolution, makes it more capable of retaining it's quality (level of details etc.) when shrunk. Set size to "large" if you take .jpg photos directly (out-of-camera).
The 35mm f/1.8 is not an ideal lens for this purpose of yours - it has relatively high level of (barrel) distortion and it's focal length does not match the purpose either. I think that you should be using mainly the kit 18-55mm (at it's telephoto end). If you want a "specialized" kind of lens (for the "small items") you'd be better off by buying any of the "macro" lenses - a Nikon 40mm f/2.8 micro, for example...

Last edited:

skene

If you want a "specialized" kind of lens (for the "small items") you'd be better off by buying any of the "macro" lenses - a Nikon 40mm f/2.8 micro, for example...

Agree here. If you are taking pictures of items, per say for sale... A macro lens would be ideal in a situation like this. The budget friendly 40mm F2.8 will be able to accomplish this nicely, however there is a slight learning curve with using a macro lens. But whomever gave you the information that a 35mm lens would be useful for what you are doing is mistaken. See if you can return that lens and purchase a proper lens.

Ironwood

Before you write that lens off as no good for the purpose, why don't you give it a try. I found it to be a lot better than the 18-55 for my pen shots.

Check out some of my pen photography in my 365 thread, I started using the Nikon 35 f1.8 on page 18 & 19 http://nikonites.com/project-365-daily-photos/7645-ironwoods-pen-journey-18.html#axzz2vLjxNgdC

There will be some photos after those pages using the 35 as well, I normally quote what lens I am using. The photos previous to page 18 are mostly with the Nikon AFD 55 macro.

RockyNH was also using the same lens for a lot of his product shots in his 365 threads, http://nikonites.com/project-365-daily-photos/19256-rockys-365-thread-2014-a.html#axzz2vLjxNgdC as far as I know he is still using it.

RockyNH_RIP

I am with Brad on this one... give it a try!! Nothing to lose and if you do not care for the results, then send it back.

I have both a 50 and 35 and I prefer the 35 for my product shots.... I think it does a fine job, has low light capability and is very sharp. I am able to frame a couple shots and manipulate angle and crop in software.

Do not get me wrong.... I have a Macro lens and really like it. I use it for macro detailed product stuff but for an all around handy lens, the 35 mm 1.8 is more valuable to me...

Pat in NH

Horoscope Fish

The Nikon 35mm f/1.8 is such a gem of a lens I would almost call it "essential". It's about the ONLY lens my girlfriend uses on her D3200 and it never ceases to amaze me what she can do with it. This lens was an excellent suggestion, IMO; it just may take some time before you fully appreciate what it can do.

John P

I would rent a 35, and a 40.
Use the both for your specific purpose, and purchase accordingly.
These questions are hard to answer due to varying tastes and opinons.

dmc

So your kit lenses, the 18-55 and the 55-200 will not do justice to your outstanding 24 MP sensor. The AF-S 35/1.8 DX has the resolving power to bring out the best in your sensor. Use it, you'll be impressed. If not, return the D3200 and get a D3000 or D3100, and save your money.

Mike D90

I just purchased a D3200 that came with a 18-55 lens and a 55-200 lens. The salesperson recommended I get a fixed 35mm lens for what I want to do. I did buy it, but I'm questioning if I really need it or not. I intend to use the camera and lens for product pictures for my website. I think I will be using the close-up mode for my shots, because most items are small. Any suggestions on the best way to do this. Also, 1 other question to those that know. I see there are 3 size settings for the image size, small, medium and large. Can anyone recommend what size I should set it at? I will have to shrink the picture down to a 600pxl size for the website, so is it better to take the picture in the large size? thanks

In what type of setting will you be doing your product photography? Outdoors? Light tent? Indoor product studio? Flash? Natural window light? Using a tripod or handheld? All of this can matter when it comes to your lens choice. The lenses you currently have are more than capable of doing the photography you have mentioned if the conditions are right (how you are lighting them) and depending on how small they are and how close you need to be to them.

If you need to shoot them with no flash using ambient light, a fast prime lens would be ideal. If you need to really get them up close and in great detail you would want a macro lens ideally. You can substitute macro with a good zoom and get close shots too but you will need more light/faster lens if you are in low light.

If you have plenty of light and just need snap shots then use what you have, get as close as you can and still get focus, use a tripod and shutter release cable or remote, and get good crisp shots and edit them well.