D3000 Basketball photos - What else can I do

kokomo

These were taken at 6pm. Lens 70-200mm

image 124(2 players): f2.8, 1;320, Iso 1600, Exp bias 0, focal length 200mm Max Ap 3, Metering Pattern, Flash: none, Shutter Priority

image 053 Players 20 & 12: f2.8, 1/400, Iso 1600, Exp bias 0, focal length 190mm Max Ap 3 Metering pattern, Flash: none, Shutter Priority

Image 165 Green Jersey: f2.8, Exp time 1/200, Iso 1600, Exp bias 0 focal length 190mm, Max Ap 3, Metering: Pattern, Flash , Shutter Priority
1rsey

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Attachments

• boys BB Taft@Woodward 165.JPG
    boys BB Taft@Woodward 165.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 744
  • boys BB Taft@Woodward 053.JPG
    boys BB Taft@Woodward 053.JPG
    834.8 KB · Views: 1,017
  • boys BB Taft@Woodward 124.JPG
    boys BB Taft@Woodward 124.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 699

fotojack

Well.....personally....I would have shot these in Aperture mode. The ISO looks correct to me, though. I guess a flash with a difuser was out of the question, right? Your glass was certainly fast enough, although to be brutally honest, a 1.8 or 1.4 lens would have been ideal.

kokomo

Thanks. I just got the lens last week. I also have a Nikon SB-600 that I just got. I don't know much about the flash & am trying to read the manuel which I think is complicated. When I use the flash, are there certain setting I should have it on. I tried it once & I guess I had it set wrong since all the photos came out blurry.

I'll try Aperature mode the next time.

Thanks again.

fotojack

Blurry photos are not caused by the flash. They are caused by camera shake. When shooting action shots, always use at least 1/500th of a second shutter speed. Your Aperture Mode should be able to tell your camera the correct shutter speed for the shot. For instance, in my camera, even when I use Aperture Mode, which is 95% of the time, the correct shutter speed is chosen by the camera, depending on the glass I'm using. I can also select a different shutter speed manually when in Aperture Mode, so I'm not sure if you can do the same in your camera. You'll have to experiment with that one. Probably someone with more experience with the D3k will be able to clarify that.
As for yo9ur SB-600 flash.....nothing wrong with that puppy! It's pretty easy, really. Just slide it onto your camera and shoot. In P, A and S Modes, the camera will do the thinking for the flash, so not to worry. :) In Manual Mode on your camera, the flash will have to be set up according to the lens you're using with it.

kokomo

With the SB-600, I was using G mode. I'll try it in A mode next time. What type of diffuser? I don't have one & if I need to buy one I could use some suggestions.

fotojack

Check out this link for a lot of photographic accessories for your camera. And no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way. They just happen to have good stuff at terrific prices. :)

Linkdelight.com: Great buys on Photography Equipment, Outdoor Equipment, Toys and More

Look for the diffuser that is specific to your flash. You won't believe how inexpensive they are here! I shop there, Curt shops there, and I believe a lot of others in here shop there. :)