The "Evils" of HDR

ohkphoto

Snow White
Well, it's been kind of quiet around here so I thought I would stir the pot a little. A lot of us dabble with HDR --some of us take it to the extreme, and some of us like the subtle, realistic effect.

The below quote is from an article entitled "Knowing My Limits --Why I Don't Do HDR"

It’s not that HDR is totally evil (just mostly) and should be done away with. I know it’s a bit of a craze and newfangled thing right now. Just stop taking it too far and stop using it in place of proper exposure and accepting the limits of the scene in front of you. There is so much great stuff to learn about proper exposure that the HDR gadget can just sit at the back of the drawer like the outgrown toy it has become.

Read more: Knowing My Limits

Anybody care to express an opinion?

Browncoat

Yeah, I do. I commented on this article back when it was originally written as well. Who is this guy to tell me (or anyone else) to stop taking it too far? Did I miss the part where someone bequeathed the throne of photography king to him. I grow more and more weary of those who call themselves "purists" because in this digital age, it's a laughable point of contention. And to the author of this article and his legions of trolls, I offer this:

Those who criticize HDR either don't know how to use it, are afraid to experiment, or simply lack creative vision. They bellow about proper exposure, technical merits, and quote their how-to books with a sneer on their faces with a belief that their "by the book" methods are somehow superior. True artists know that rules are meant to be broken and forget that some of the most striking photography ever created breaks the mold of the mundane by thinking outside of the traditional box. Art is full of rebellion. Did Picasso take it too far? How about Dali? Photography isn't like algebra where there's only one right way.

And if none of that makes any sense, I'll leave it at just this. Peter West Carey is not a good photographer. He travels the world and takes photos. Big deal. I happen to think his work sucks. For someone who gives workshops and pretends to be an industry authority, he should spend more time developing the skills he likes to preach that others don't have. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Peter West Carey.

ohkphoto

Snow White
I had never seen this article before and when I read the title, it was nothing what I thought. I thought the limits he was referring to were his PP limits, foolish me! The remark that bothered me the most was in his first paragraph: "I love digital photography. And its limits." That's like saying 'I love the limits of the camera's sensor, even though what it translates into a photo is not as good as what I saw.'

His type of thinking (or lack of it) reminds me of a photography college instructor I knew once, who begrudgingly went into digital (bought a D3X), whined about the "good old days" and always started the course by giving a "demo student" a stethoscope, and telling him, "Okay. You're a doctor now. So go out and 'doctor' "

I get concerned when people who 'applaud limits' (like the author of this article) are placed in educational settings, public schools, colleges, workshops --

I hope you posted your comments to his article on his website/blog, Anthony.

(I particularly like your "legion of trolls" comment ! :cool: )

mu0chn

Well I like HDR and I often take 3 shots even if I am not looking for good HDR subjects. I also vary how much processing I do. I think it is a very personal thing.

AMG

Here's my 2 cents on the subject. As a newbie to the DSLR world and a person that like to express my artistic self I am interested in HDR. Not because I want/need to alter my photos but because I love the freedom or artistic expression. HDR intrigues me so I had to find out if my D3100 supported AEB. Unfortunately HDR seems to be out of the question at this time.

Browncoat

I get concerned when people who 'applaud limits' (like the author of this article) are placed in educational settings, public schools, colleges, workshops --

There's no need for concern, Helene. You have to look at it this way:

We need people like Peter West Carey. We need them to train the next generation of "purists" who will sit and take notes and imitate their predecessor's work so that they can sit in their tightly-knit photography circles of influence and pat each other on the back. We need them to talk about tradition and following the rules. We need them so that when true talent does come along, it's very easy to spot. People like Mr. Carey are the very fuel that puts fire in the bellies of creative spirits, those who stand up with a raised fist and will not conform. Those who are not afraid to do something different and think for themselves.

The best part of it all is, the hero of these people is inevitably the "father of purism" himself, Ansel Adams, who heavily edited his photos with the tools of his time. And I can guarantee you one thing. If Ansel Adams were alive today, he would be using HDR because it accomplishes digitally the tonal variations he edited in his work.

jengajoh

I think of photography as an art form, and since when does art have limits? HDR can help the photographer produce a picture beyond what the camera is capable of, whether they are subtle or not it's all based on one's taste. There is no right or wrong.

fotojack

Yeah, I do. I commented on this article back when it was originally written as well. Who is this guy to tell me (or anyone else) to stop taking it too far? Did I miss the part where someone bequeathed the throne of photography king to him. I grow more and more weary of those who call themselves "purists" because in this digital age, it's a laughable point of contention. And to the author of this article and his legions of trolls, I offer this:

Those who criticize HDR either don't know how to use it, are afraid to experiment, or simply lack creative vision. They bellow about proper exposure, technical merits, and quote their how-to books with a sneer on their faces with a belief that their "by the book" methods are somehow superior. True artists know that rules are meant to be broken and forget that some of the most striking photography ever created breaks the mold of the mundane by thinking outside of the traditional box. Art is full of rebellion. Did Picasso take it too far? How about Dali? Photography isn't like algebra where there's only one right way.

And if none of that makes any sense, I'll leave it at just this. Peter West Carey is not a good photographer. He travels the world and takes photos. Big deal. I happen to think his work sucks. For someone who gives workshops and pretends to be an industry authority, he should spend more time developing the skills he likes to preach that others don't have. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Peter West Carey.

Anthony, I commend you on your stand, and I couldn't agree more! I will take criticism on my photos, I will take instruction on how to improve my techniques, I will listen to someone smarter and more knowledgeable than me on the pros and cons of equipment, lenses, etc., but I will NOT be told how or what to shoot! That area belongs to me
These so called "experts" are lost in the past and refuse or can't accept the future and all it's marvels of technology. Soon enough, they will be left behind, along with their "trolls" (love that one!), leaving the art of photography to those who like and want to think outside the box.
Bravo, Anthony! I admire and respect people who tell it like it is, and you, sir, are one of them.

Ruidoso Bill

HDR is nothing more than any other software tool we have at our disposal (trials count) so we become creative, that is what our work (individual efforts) make us different from one another. I love the exposure accurate presentation and also love the abstract blown out presentations I see. Thankful for all the efforts, that is what it is, effort.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I am not a fan of the blown out HDR images but I like having HDR in my arsenal when I run into a high contrast situation. But, I do appreciate the ability for artistic and creative images. An artist should use any tool required to complete their individual vision. I may not be visually attracted to a particular image but I can and do appreciate the vision and technical expertise required to create it.

Browncoat

Here's my 2 cents on the subject. As a newbie to the DSLR world and a person that like to express my artistic self I am interested in HDR. Not because I want/need to alter my photos but because I love the freedom or artistic expression. HDR intrigues me so I had to find out if my D3100 supported AEB. Unfortunately HDR seems to be out of the question at this time.

Just because the D3100 doesn't have bracketing mode, doesn't mean you can't do HDR. What post-processing software do you have? If you have Lightroom, you can adjust the exposure in your single image and save them as separate files to then merge together again into an HDR image.

M.Hinch

Anthony, Could AMG also, in manual mode, take a correct exposure, then one underexposed and another overexposed?

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

Browncoat

Anthony, Could AMG also, in manual mode, take a correct exposure, then one underexposed and another overexposed?

With a tripod and the world's steadiest hands, yes. But odds are, there are going to be some alignment issues from bumping the camera around between shots. You can fix that in Photoshop or the HDR software as well. It might just be easier to do it digitally as opposed to manually with the camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

AMG

Anthony - I am experimenting/learning Photoshop Elements9 and I believe I - "can adjust the exposure in your single image and save them as separate files to then merge together again into an HDR image".
M- thanks but I happen to agree with Anthony - "odds are, there are going to be some alignment issues from bumping the camera around between shots". Besides I'm still getting acquainted with my camera and all the technicalities or the science of good photography.
Thank you.

Rick M

As long as you use a tripod , there is no problem doing HDR with the D3100. Just need to adjust the exposures manually. Auto bracketing just makes the process easier and allows for hand held images (although depending on shutter speed, you could still have alignment issues even with auto bracketing). I don't think you can manipulate a single image and get true HDR, since the 3 seperate exposures are capturing what one exposure cannot. The post processing cannot replace the elements not captured by only using one image, it can only mimic the effect.

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I've had some luck with doing HDR handheld but I made sure I was well braced and held my breath. The example below was done handheld. Photomatix does an excellent job of addressing ghosting too. ;)

large.jpg