2Xteleconverter

eummagic

Hello all,

I have a 18-55mm & 55-300mm nikon lens but I feel for the extra zoom. Is there any teleconverter that would be compatible for my 55-300mm lens othe than Nikon brand? Because, as per the above post I have enquired the price of the model in India and its exceeding my budget. Any other brands that would be economical and compatible can be recommended.

Last edited:

Ranie

Hello all,

I have a 18-55mm & 55-300mm nikon lens but I feel for the extra zoom. Is there any teleconverter that would be compatible for my 55-300mm lens othe than Nikon brand? Because, as per the above post I have enquired the price of the model in India and its exceeding my budget. Any other brands that would be economical and compatible can be recommended.

None would be compatible for your lenses.

Joseph Bautsch

Ken Rockwell has a review on the TC-20EIII. His review is not promising either performance or price wise. My opinion is that you'er not going to get good value for the price even if it does work on your lens. Here is the web site for Ken's review:

Nikon TC20E III

eummagic

Oh....I hurried buying the 55-300mm along with camera. Sad that it won't be powered up any further. I think the other alternative is to buy the listed telephoto lens from the chart, but again I need to save some to buy...

Thanks for all your replies...

Ranie

Ken Rockwell has a review on the TC-20EIII. His review is not promising either performance or price wise. My opinion is that you'er not going to get good value for the price even if it does work on your lens. Here is the web site for Ken's review:

Nikon TC20E III

Joseph, I understand from that review that Ken Rockwell did not physically test this teleconverter but assumed from his previous experience. He did not have any pictures to show. For teleconverters, its best to find reviews from sports photographers, those who shoot birds and wildlife.

PavementPilot

eummagic, the D3100 has a 14 MP sensor. With your lens zoomed to 300mm, you still have a great capture. In post production (I'm assuming you are shooting RAW, as that is what I shoot) you can crop to the subject, and rescale the image. You will have an excellent picture, provided your focus is good, and the VR was on. Remember that at 300mm with the crop factor of the sensor, it is equivalent to 450mm.

Last edited:

eummagic

eummagic, the D3100 has a 14 MP sensor. With your lens zoomed to 300mm, you still have a great capture. In post porduction (I'm assuming you are shooting RAW, as that is what I shoot) you can crop to the subject, and rescale the image. You will have an excellent picture, provided your focus is good, and the VR was on. Remember that at 300mm with the crop factor of the sensor, it is equivalent to 450mm.

Thanks for the tip...yes I have set it to RAW.

jengajoh

So now I am confused and have a question, what, if any, 2x teleconverter could be used for the Nikon AF-S 55-300 f/4.5-5G ED VR lens?

onlymoses

I have a Nikon D5100 with the Nikkor 55-300mm and I recently got a Kenko 2x MC4 DGX teleconvertor, which works fine so long as you have reasonable light.

nikonpup

look at the kenko converters and check the reviews. I just ordered a kenko 1.4x dgx 300 pro to try with my d5100 and d600. Reviews are mixed, if ok it stays if not it gets returned.