What to charge for a photo

Smoke

I was wondering what the "Going Rate" is for a photo if someone wants to purchase it. I am not a Pro, but I like to take "different" styles of photos and play with them in Adobe to enhance them. I have a Flikr page so people can view them. So what do I do/charge if someone approaches me and asks to purchase one of them? How much should I charge? You know if you sell it and send it to them, they will give it to a friend of a friend of a friend also. I took the photo and spent time editing it.....what's it worth? Your thoughts.....

Mike D90

There is absolutely no way to answer your question.

There are too many things it is dependent on as to what the photo could be worth and only one of those is what you feel it is worth to you.

If it was a one of a kind, priceless moment, caught in time event that will never again be possible then it is worth fortunes. Regular photo that is just a good shot but could easily be reproduced is worth much less. Depends on what you feel it is worth to you in monetary value.

RON_RIP

Okay,say you see this photo in a gallery somewhere and you say "Wow, I like that" So how much would you be willing to pay for it? That's what you charge. It pays to pursue galleries and see what they charge. Craft fairs are another source of info. What are other photographers charging for a similar photo? .As a general rule I double the cost of a photo I actually print and mat and triple if I frame it. I see your from Pittsburgh. You want to hit every photo both at the Three Rivers Art Festival.

Last edited:

Mike D90

Okay,say you see this photo in a gallery somewhere and you say "Wow, I like that" So how much would you be willing to pay for it? That's what you charge. It pays to pursue galleries and see what they charge. Craft fairs are another source of info. What are other photographers charging for a similar photo? .As a general rule I double the cost of a photo I actually print and mat and triple if I frame it. I see your from Pittsburgh. You want to hit every photo both at the Three Rivers Art Festival.

But, I got one of your prints for free! Sure doesn't mean it was worthless though! ;)

RON_RIP

Thanks Mike. Many of my friends have one or more of my prints. But I do sell some also and I charge all the market will bear. Of course many have antique or custom frames and conservation glass and acid free mat or mats and all of these amenities drive up the price. A few have even been made into posters but I do not like to do that because then I lose control of the printing proccess.