White Balance

NikUser

Why is it that my white balance when using Auto mode is better than when my setting is in M,P,A,S modes? The white balance is set to "auto" for both and yet the results are always different. Do I need to calibrate my white balance everytime I go to manual mode? Thanks.

FastGlass

If leaving the white balance in auto in all the mentioned modes not sure why the photos would render different outcomes. But you should get in the habit of doing a custom WB in most every situation.

BackdoorArts

Agreed. An Auto WB setting should not produce different results when only shooting mode changes, all other things being equal. That said, I can't rule out that there may be firmware logic that assess WB differently in full-blown Auto mode, but that's just me throwing out ideas and not something based on any real information.

fotojack

OK...leave your WB in Auto. Now...change your shooting modes, one at a time, to P, S, A and M. Observe the changes in settings in your viewfinder for each Mode you set it to. See any changes? :) There's your answer.

Shawn_B

I have kinda same experience with white balance. When I use auto mode (rarely) I find the pictures to look better wrt white balance than when I manually select the white balance (direct sunlight, shade, cloudy etc) when shooting in manual mode. Any advice?