DSLR or compact

Geoffc

I'm going to Paris with my wife at the weekend and I'm trying to decide what to take as it's more of a mini break than a photography trip, albeit we are both keen photographers. On one hand we could go the DSLR route and I could take my D800, 24-120 and 16-35, whilst she was going to take her D7100, 18-200 and 10.5mm fisheye. This is fine except we would have to carry it around all day and it attracts more attention. The alternative is that we take our P7100 coolpix cameras which will be light and unobtrusive. I even had a fleeting thought that it could be a project for my Iphone 5S.

As I said this is not a photo trip specifically and when we go to the States in June we are taking everything we own :D

So do I go for quality or convenience as the P7100 is not a bad camera and it shoots raw, but you can't abuse the ISO and dynamic range like you can with the DSLRs?

Oh and I've only got a total of 10KG baggage allowance.

mikew_RIP

You expect to make the right decision,with no second thoughts when you get there :D whichever you decide have a romantic weekend

slowpoke

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it,or something like that.lol Take the FX stuff.Thank me later.lol

BackdoorArts

While it's never involved Paris, this is a question I've started asking myself often lately given that I've made this commitment this year not to let one photo pass without giving it its due, while at the same time realizing that it's not always safe or convenient to have the D600 with me walking to dinner some places. I've starting taking a hard look at compacts that will shoot RAW and also the mirrorless stuff. Haven't made up my mind yet, but I'm thinking I'll bite the bullet soon. Sort of wish I'd jumped on the J3 that was on sale right after the holidays.

Regardless, I suspect this isn't one of those "once in a lifetime" trips, and if your gut is saying it's a getaway then leave the big guns at home and take the Coolpix. At least you have some zoom options over the iPhone.

Jonathan

Having just pre-made this decision by getting the Lowepro I'm-not-a-camera-rucksack-rucksack I go for the DSLR. I find my Sony Cybershot to be great, but isn't my D7100. For me, on board weight is the only limiter here.

Geoffc

While it's never involved Paris, this is a question I've started asking myself often lately given that I've made this commitment this year not to let one photo pass without giving it its due, while at the same time realizing that it's not always safe or convenient to have the D600 with me walking to dinner some places. I've starting taking a hard look at compacts that will shoot RAW and also the mirrorless stuff. Haven't made up my mind yet, but I'm thinking I'll bite the bullet soon. Sort of wish I'd jumped on the J3 that was on sale right after the holidays.

Regardless, I suspect this isn't one of those "once in a lifetime" trips, and if your gut is saying it's a getaway then leave the big guns at home and take the Coolpix. At least you have some zoom options over the iPhone.

Yet again I think we're in a similar place Jake. I took the P7100 for a holiday in Greece and on several days out. Apart from the lower weight I find it quite liberating to use compared to the DSLR as it changes my style in public, mainly because it's less obtrusive. I also feel like less of a target for thieves. Having said that, as the light goes at the end of the day/indoors I may as well put it away as the ISO is just no where near a DSLR.

When I do the States trip it will be more of a once in a lifetime (Maybe not quite but nearly) so my Vertex AW300 rucksack will be full with 30LB + of gear and that's not including my wife's stuff.

BackdoorArts

Having said that, as the light goes at the end of the day/indoors I may as well put it away as the ISO is just no where near a DSLR.

Which is why I haven't pulled the trigger. I can't justify spending the money on a really good mirrorless that performs well in low light when I have a D600, but at the same time I say, "Why spend money for a lesser camera just for convenience?" Thankfully right now it's merely desire and an idea and not need.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I guess we all question our choices when it comes to camera size vs quality... I came very close to getting myself an Olympus 4/3 Pen EPm2 (16mp) with an electronic optional viewfinder and flash. The price was right but... when I took it in my hands, I found the control buttons so so small that I just couldn't decide. I know it was a lot lighter, but, the feel, the tiny viewfinder (I don't think I'll ever be able to use a camera that doesn't have a viewfinder), I didn't feel right.

Now, this thing about theft, just get a good insurance and forget about it. I think they are more after wallets and iPhones than anything else. A D800 with lenses is probably harder to resell than a Fuji or Nex6. If you get a good bag with shoulder strap AND belt, you can carry the weight and you'll have the quality you want. But, for a short vacation, I'd be tempted to get a Fuji X20 or a really pocketable camera. the Olympus, as small as it is couldn't be stored in a pocket since the lens protrudes too much.

Good luck with your decision. Whatever you decide, just make sure you enjoy the time with your wife more than the time with your camera. :)

BackdoorArts

Good points, Marcel. For me, while theft is a minor concern, it's more a matter of the inconvenience of something over my shoulder when it's only there just in case and not because I'm actively looking to take pictures. If photography is almost inevitable then I will have my D600 with me (knowing that if it's stolen I'll get the D610 - lol).

Geoffc

I guess we all question our choices when it comes to camera size vs quality... I came very close to getting myself an Olympus 4/3 Pen EPm2 (16mp) with an electronic optional viewfinder and flash. The price was right but... when I took it in my hands, I found the control buttons so so small that I just couldn't decide. I know it was a lot lighter, but, the feel, the tiny viewfinder (I don't think I'll ever be able to use a camera that doesn't have a viewfinder), I didn't feel right.

Now, this thing about theft, just get a good insurance and forget about it. I think they are more after wallets and iPhones than anything else. A D800 with lenses is probably harder to resell than a Fuji or Nex6. If you get a good bag with shoulder strap AND belt, you can carry the weight and you'll have the quality you want. But, for a short vacation, I'd be tempted to get a Fuji X20 or a really pocketable camera. the Olympus, as small as it is couldn't be stored in a pocket since the lens protrudes too much.

Good luck with your decision. Whatever you decide, just make sure you enjoy the time with your wife more than the time with your camera. :)

I don't think theft is a massive concern as it is insured, however the inconvenience is far from trivial. As I already have the P7100 I don't think I'll be buying anything for the trip. I think it will ultimately come down to the bag weight as I tend to be one of those people that takes stuff just in case.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't think theft is a massive concern as it is insured, however the inconvenience is far from trivial. As I already have the P7100 I don't think I'll be buying anything for the trip. I think it will ultimately come down to the bag weight as I tend to be one of those people that takes stuff just in case.

So like everything in life, seems you'll have to compromise.
P7100, D7100 with the 18-200 and 35 1.8. If 18 is not wide enough, then you spray shoot and paste into a pano later. For weight/quality ratio, this would probably be a very good option.

camillefontz

I've been to Paris once, in those days my best body was a D300. I traveled with it, bought a couple of kit lenses so I could leave my more expensive lenses at home. If it weren't because I decided to also bring my 50mm 1.4 at the last minute, I would've regretted that trip completely. These trips are TOO expensive to leave your quality equipment at home. Don't bring ALL your good stuff, and beware of pickpocketers and thieves, but DO bring the best you can. In touristic cities of Europe, it is common to be seen with DSLRs, so you'll blend in as another tourist.

As for me, if I were to travel to Paris today, I'd bring my D600, a 85mm, and a 24-70.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Geoffc

I've been to Paris once, in those days my best body was a D300. I traveled with it, bought a couple of kit lenses so I could leave my more expensive lenses at home. If it weren't because I decided to also bring my 50mm 1.4 at the last minute, I would've regretted that trip completely. These trips are TOO expensive to leave your quality equipment at home. Don't bring ALL your good stuff, and beware of pickpocketers and thieves, but DO bring the best you can. In touristic cities of Europe, it is common to be seen with DSLRs, so you'll blend in as another tourist.

As for me, if I were to travel to Paris today, I'd bring my D600, a 85mm, and a 24-70.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just prior to reading this I was just trying my 50mm 1.8g on the d800 and thinking it might be a nice lightweight option. I will decide tomorrow night when I've packed my clothes and know what space I have left. I only have 10kg in total. I must admit my other reason for going minimalist was to see if I could get decent pictures with a lesser camera, however once the ISO creeps up you need a DSLR no matter how hard you try to be imaginative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Geoffc

Well I'm now back from my trip to Paris and due to baggage weight restrictions the DSLR's were not an option. So for three days my wife and I strolled around Paris with our P7100's and our Iphone 5s cameras. When we look at pictures they are either

1. Acceptable (Does the job and records the event)

2. Good (Almost but not quite a cigar)

3. Excellent (I expect nothing less when I'm using several thousand pounds worth of gear).

In reality we are not really interested in the Good category as it's something that could have been Excellent but isn't and never would be due to the constraints of the camera.

Having now reviewed our pictures our conclusion is that the Iphone 5s is probably acceptable for this type of casual requirement. On a bright day (as we had for the whole trip) the P7100's had the edge over the phone and delivered some "Good" pictures, albeit the Iphone was not far behind. At night the Iphone was actually better than the P7100. This was a surprise as the Iphone4 was useless at night but the 5s is pretty impressive.

My initial thought was that we need better compacts, however given that they don't get a lot of use, would cost a lot for a model with an APS-C sensor and still wouldn't return DSLR quality I think we are going to stick with the Iphones for casual use. As ever with my ramblings I reserve the right to change my mind at any time ;)