A hard choice for me.. D5300 OR D3300

xander

hey

I really can't choose, or I buy the D3300 or the D5300
D5300 pro's= wifi/gps, has a flip-out screen

D3300 pro's= panorama, built-in focus motor

for the rest I don't see much other
other properties which differ :confused:
Let me know what you think I should do, I'm a learning photographer but I want a dslr which will stay with me for a long time and have a lot of fun with..;)

thanks in advance

Xander

nickt

D3300 pro's= panorama, built-in focus motor

I'm think that the d3300 does NOT have a focus motor. I remember seeing one site recently that said it did, but I'm pretty sure that is wrong. I downloaded the user manual and it indicates AF lenses will manual focus only.

pedroj

Welcome....Neither has an AF motor....If you are wanting a camera with a focus motor look at the D7000 series...

Lawrence

The flip out screen is an awesome feature.
I had a similar problem to you but mine was between the D5100 and the D3200. I opted for the D5100 for the screen, slightly higher FPS, HDR Facility and, important for me, longer battery life. The D5100 also has a few extra settings that the D3200 doesn't (my flat mate got the D3200 so we often check settings and in many cases she has fewer - such as ISO options)

It all depends what you prioritise and your budget. $$$$$

DraganDL

No hard thinking required: D5300 is better in EVERY respect. Flip screen is a GREAT thing (might actually mean the difference between "go" and "no go" - fences, walls, crowds...).
No built-in motor drive in D3xxx series (somebody has obviously confused D3xx series with D3xxx)...

Last edited:

Moab Man

I would tell you go with the D5300. Buy as much camera as you can that isn't going to break the budget for glass down the road.

D5300 all the way

Also from the Nikon site
Nikon D3300 HDSLR | DSLR from Nikon

[h=4]Lens[/h]
  • [h=4]Lens Aperture[/h] Instant-return type
  • [h=4]Lens Compatibility at a Glance***[/h]AF-S Lens Required for Autofocus
  • This means that it does NOT have the built in Focus motor. I have also seen places where it says it does so I went to Nikon to check.

aroy

I wanted to get a D610, but have now ordered the D3300. I already have the D70 and D300, so another DX has joined the family.

Why D3300 and not the 5xxx or 7xxx
. I need a basic camera with minimum frills and high MP.
. More AF points or swivel screen do not interest me. If at all, I use the centre AF and metering point.
. I normally use manual focus (been that way for over 40 years), so a motor in the body is only a nice to have feature. The D type primes that I have will be used in manual focus.
. Before I get an FX body, I will be getting the 300mmF4+TC1.4 combination.
. D3300 has HD 60p video

The best part is that the D3300 is extremely light and small. so makes a good street camera. Couple it with a 28mm/24mm prime and you get a low walk around gig.

rwdflynavy

I have a 3100 and was trying to decide between the 5200 and 7100. Went with 7100 so I could use older lenses. So far I am thrilled with my purchase!

Horoscope Fish

Of the two choices given, definitely the D5300.

Agreed. I'd like to see an auto-focus motor on the '5300, like the '3300 has, but the but the '5300 has WAY more focus points, more cross-type focus points and the articulating screen that I like so much. It also had the OLPF removed, which I think makes a pretty significant difference in image quality... I don't remember off the top of my head if the '3300 has the OLPF or not but if it HAS one, that would be the last nail in the 3300's coffin for me in this equation.

kluisi

Agreed. I'd like to see an auto-focus motor on the '5300, like the '3300 has, but the but the '5300 has WAY more focus points, more cross-type focus points and the articulating screen that I like so much. It also had the OLPF removed, which I think makes a pretty significant difference in image quality... I don't remember off the top of my head if the '3300 has the OLPF or not but if it HAS one, that would be the last nail in the 3300's coffin for me in this equation.

I don't think the 3300 has the AF Motor. According to Lens Compatibility on Nikon's website, the 5300 says AF-S and AF-I CPU lenses only, while the 3300, 3200, and 3100 all say AF-S lens required for autofocus.

Horoscope Fish

I don't think the 3300 has the AF Motor. According to Lens Compatibility on Nikon's website, the 5300 says AF-S and AF-I CPU lenses only, while the 3300, 3200, and 3100 all say AF-S lens required for autofocus.
GAH! You're right. No AF motor in the D3300... Not sure what I was thinking when I typed that.

aroy

D3xxx and D5xxx do not have motor in the body. Hence the older screw driver lenses do not auto focus. If you want to use these lenses it is D7xxx series or the FF cameras - D4, D800, D61, DF.

After evaluating the D5300 and the D3300, I went for the D3300 as
- I use only central focus point for AF. For my legacy lenses (as well as the screw driver ones) I manually focus. The D3300 "green dot" focus conformation has been dead accurate (as tested in live view) for my 50mmF1.8 AF and the 105mmF2.8AIS.
- I do not like swiveled screen - more points of failure.
- The DR is nearly same
- In India at least the D5300 is priced 80% more than the D3300

Neither of these cameras meter with non cpu lenses, hence if I want that feature then it is FF camera.
Both have Expeed 4 processor hence the FPS and Video specs are same

Last edited by a moderator:

ChipThome

I have the D5200 and just ordered the D3300 as a second cam for video. From my research I found several things missing on the 3300 that my 5200 has. I feel I can work around these, for a second cam without too much trouble. For a #1 camera though, I think for anyone who wants to not stay as a beginner, the 3300 is going to be lacking.

aroy

Congratulations.

These are missing features I would like to have, but not hanker for :
. Higher DR - Nikon has crippled the DR for D3300, it has same DR at ISO 100 and 200.
. Live view while tethered - not possible in any D3xxx series.

The other features like better resolution and swivel screen, WiFi and GPS are of no interest to me. What I would like is to
. have an inbody motor so that my "D" lenses can autofocus.
. have metering capability with non CPU lenses, by entering lense data.

Actually DF is an ideal camera for my needs/desire, but its 16MP sensor and the price are not worth it, in my opinion.