Focus stuck on single point?

elysejankowski

Hi all,

I was messing around with my settings last night and somehow got my focus stuck on a single point, even though I'm in AFA 51 point mode, which usually focuses on multiple points. No matter where I point the camera, only the center square lights up (I can move its position, but in any case, just that one point focuses). Any idea where I may have gone wrong? Went back into my AF settings and can't figure it out!

Thanks,

Elyse

nikonpup

most users use only the single point focus. Single point can be move around in the view finder or locked in place ( i use the center of the screen) . To change afa afs afc push the autofocus button and rotate the main command dial. To change s - d9 - d21 - d51 - 3d - auto push the autofucus button and rotate the sub command dial.

nickt

Are you confusing af-a servo mode (as in af-a, af-s, af-c) with Auto Area focus mode? Auto Area mode is the only one that will show you multiple points when you half press. You say you are in af-a 51 point mode. That mode will show you only one point although it will use other points to finalize focus. The one point shown is your starting point and you can move it around. If you set Auto Area focus mode, you will see multiple focus points in the viewfinder.

Here is a good read:

http://www.pixelfinesse.com/_docs/D7000_AF_Explained.pdf

elysejankowski

Are you confusing af-a servo mode (as in af-a, af-s, af-c) with Auto Area focus mode? Auto Area mode is the only one that will show you multiple points when you half press. You say you are in af-a 51 point mode. That mode will show you only one point although it will use other points to finalize focus. The one point shown is your starting point and you can move it around. If you set Auto Area focus mode, you will see multiple focus points in the viewfinder.

Here is a good read:

http://www.pixelfinesse.com/_docs/D7000_AF_Explained.pdf

Holy smokes...PDF link didn't open, but I kept turning sub command dial and found Auto area as you mentioned - thank you!!

Last edited:

nickt

Great. Maybe a browser problem on the link. Try a different browser if you have one or rt click and 'save as' might work for you. It is really a great write up. Something many of us read and re-read.

In short.. Af-s, af-c,af-a are servo modes. you get them holding the af button and turning the back wheel. Servo modes are how the focus motor behaves. AF-S is single mode. It focuses once and stops trying. AF-C keep trying to focus if the subject moves. AF-A is auto servo mode. It is like single focus mode but if the camera detects a a change in distance it will change to af-c mode. All 3 are for determining how the focus motor behaves.

Now if you hold the af button and turn the FRONT wheel as you have found, you get the varies focus point modes, 9, 21, etc. These are how the camera will acquire a focus point, which is a separate process from how the motor behaves.

Last edited: