Lens for D5200 ?

super

I am planning to buy Nikon D5200.

Purpose: Youtube videos for gadgets etc
Requirement for lens: Something that is good for capturing good outdoor shots, good zoom for vacation stuff and indoor recording with good zoom.

1) Should I buy Nikon D5200 with kit lens 18-55mm
2) Should I buy D5200 body only and get lens like 33mm or 50mm ?

Please advise !

super

Could you please give me a little idea...what are the differences and use of the following:
1) 18-55MM VR Kit lens
2) 33mm
3) 50mm
4) 18-105
5) 18-140
Just so that I will understand better and make a good decision which is right for me.

Also...I looked at 18-105 & 140, the price is quite high and I am looking for something affortable...like within $200 range

super

I did buy d3200 with kit lens 18 55mm but I returned it so I never get to use it. So d5200 is going to be my first dslr. I have mentioned the requirements in my first post above what I need the camera for.

Please advise.

Well your #2 only lists fixed focal lenses and you asked for zooms. If seems that you want a good all around lens for multiple uses. That is what many of us here call a walk about lens. If I only had one lens it would be the 18-105 or 18-140. I presently shoot with a D7000 and have a few lenses. My 18-105 stays on the camera 75% of the time. I am going to buy a D7100 soon and have decided that I will purchase the 18-140 with it and sell the D7000 with the 18-105 on it.

that lens will get you started and will be a lens you can use for years to come.

Horoscope Fish

These questions you are asking do not come with simple, black and white answers such as "Lens X" or "Lens Y". You need to develop an understanding of some of the basics of how lenses operate, things like focal length and minimum aperture, and then decide for yourself what lens would best suit your needs. I suggest you start here, Understanding Focal Length.

For most people, and based on your previous posts, Don is correct in suggesting either the 18-105mm or the 18-140mm.

If your budget is $200 or less your options are going to be very limited because good glass is not cheap. The Nikon 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 would be a good place to start. That lens sells for about $250 new, refurbs are less of course and should not be difficult to find. Also in the $200 range would be either Nikon's 35mm f/1.8G or Nikon's 50mm f/1.8G prime lenses.

Last edited:

super

Two are zooms and two are fixed focal length. they are all different focal lengths. Have you ever shot a DSLR before? Also why did you decide to not keep the D3200 without every shooting it?

I have never used a DSLR before. The only reason I returned D3200 is because I wanted a flip screen as I will be shooting myself for videos and flip screen is useful for that.

super

These questions you are asking do not come with simple, black and white answers such as "Lens X" or "Lens Y". You need to develop an understanding of some of the basics of how lenses operate, things like focal length and minimum aperture, and then decide for yourself what lens would best suit your needs. I suggest you start here, Understanding Focal Length.

For most people, and based on your previous posts, Don is correct in suggesting either the 18-105mm or the 18-140mm.

If your budget is $200 or less your options are going to be very limited because good glass is not cheap. The Nikon 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 would be a good place to start. That lens sells for about $250 new, refurbs are less of course and should not be difficult to find. Also in the $200 range would be either Nikon's 35mm f/1.8G or Nikon's 50mm f/1.8G prime lenses.

Thank you, it was a good advise and thanks for Don for his advise.

I understand that every lens is different depending on the requirements. Prime lens are good for zoom stuff like I want to record gadgets in the youtube videos and lens like 55-200 is good for outdoor pictures.

I am now thinking that instead of spending so much on D5200, why not I get D5100 and invest money on buying 2 lens and still stay in budget, 1 prime lens and one other like 50-200 or similar. What do you or Don think ? Do you think extra 6MPs are worth this extra money ?

A prime lens is not a zoom. It is a fixed focal length. How big are your "gadgets" that you want to video? If small you may need to get a macro lens to shoot those.

I have a D5100 and love it. For what you are doing that camera will do a great job for you. I still say the 18-105 would be better for you than the 55-200. The problem with that lens when you are out doors shooting is that you can not shoot anything wide with it. Sometimes you just can't back up enough to get the shot you want.

Buy the D5100 with the 18-105 and a 40MM Macro for your videos

buy refurbished and save yourself some money

http://www.cameta.com/Nikon-D5100-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-Factory-Refurbished-62313.cfm

Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens - Factory Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty

Nikon 40mm f/2.8G AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor Lens 2200 B&H Photo Video

super

Thanks Don, your advise is very helpful and I do see that it makes sense to go with D5100 and invest money on lens instead of buying extra 6MPs and wifi support which I might not use it.

1) What is the difference between 35mm and 40mm micro ? is 35mm not micro ?
2) Are these fish eye lenses useful for wide shot ? 0 43x HD Super Wide Angle 52mm Fisheye w Macro for Nikon D300 D3100 D5000 D5100 | eBay
(I guess fish eye shot will be rounded picture not flat, right ?)

Thanks Don, your advise is very helpful and I do see that it makes sense to go with D5100 and invest money on lens instead of buying extra 6MPs and wifi support which I might not use it.

1) What is the difference between 35mm and 40mm micro ? is 35mm not micro ?
2) Are these fish eye lenses useful for wide shot ? 0 43x HD Super Wide Angle 52mm Fisheye w Macro for Nikon D300 D3100 D5000 D5100 | eBay

The 35 is not macro. Any lens that is macro will say so in the name.
The .43x hd is not a lens. it is a addon that you screw onto the lens. You would not want a long lens and add this to it to get wide angle. Also they degrade the quality.

super

Last question...comparing D5200 and D5100 - do you think the extra 8MPs are worth spending that money ? Based on my knowledge and research it seems like the extra megapixels are only good for cropping images but 16MPs are more than enough.

Last question...comparing D5200 and D5100 - do you think the extra 8MPs are worth spending that money ? Based on my knowledge and research it seems like the extra megapixels are only good for cropping images but 16MPs are more than enough.

Did you look at my photos? Do you think they are good enough for what you are wanting? I think at your level and for wha tyou are wanting to do the D5100 will do just fine.