100 year old color photographs of Russia

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Incredible! The photograph below was taken in 1911. It is of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alim_Khan (descendant of Genghis Khan).

MLwSWVg.jpg

More: Russia in color, a century ago - Imgur

The photographer and how this image was made: Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Deezey

Just found the thread. The blues in that shot are amazing. I love seeing these old color photos. It is what makes this hobby so cool for me. That some day someone may look at one of our photos a hundred years from now, and wonder what it must have been like to have lived back then.

wud

Just seeing it now, its totally awesome!

Colors are so good, looks almost new. And yeah, you know it, I am liking the centered composition :eek:

Deezey

I actually think the rule of thirds is crap. But what do I know. We have only been using the rule of thirds since what...the Renaissance period? But now I think it is just to expected. And I think for new photographers it tends to lock them into a cookie cutter look to their photos.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I knew more people had to find this interesting :)

Apparently a lot of digital retouching went into these photos, but regardless...

Rgb-compose-Alim_Khan.jpg

RON_RIP

We are spoiled rotten compared to the photographers of yesteryear. Yet 100 years later and their talent still shows thru. I see this photo and I want to know the back story and more about the subject.It is this kind of photography that keeps us keeping on.