Re: D7000 video capability --- Poor results Not impressed -- Need help

sunny002

Guys,

Equip: D7000, Lens 18-105mm VR

I am not one bit impressed by the D7000 video capability.
I am having trouble with getting a decent (not HD) clip from this camera.

Either it is Auto Focus or
in movie mode it kind of sticks to its original settings when you started the recording or
something else but the end result is worthless.

I own a small Sony Cybershot 10MP camera and it creates better videos than this 10X expensive camera.

So if any one out there thinking of buying D7K to get good videos I would suggest wait a few more years.

If any one has been able to get a decent video of when inside the house at night with decent lighting (example a small party) please enlighten me with the secret. Beers are on me.

Here is what I have found out so far -- AF is to be avoided.
Set your camera to the right settings before you start the recording.
Once you start recording it does not adapt to the new settings.
Definitely you need an external microphone if you intend to record the audio.
20 Min or 4 Gig is the max size of video that you can record.

Cheers

Sunny

Last edited by a moderator:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member

I'm curious why the AF should be avoided? Does it not work well?

sunny002

AF should be avoided as there is a lag when the lens is adjusting (moving back and forth). For a split moment the object will be seen as soft and then sharp. If this happens constantly it's very annoying. Renders the clip almost useless.

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

I've always said I could never see the reasoning for using a DSLR camera as a video camera. They make much better stand alone video cameras that do a better job. But hey....that's just me. :)

NaOH

I don't have a video camera so my D7k is better than nothing but I bought it knowing the AF wouldn't be great in video mode.

Having said that I still don't know why you'd buy a SLR if you were really interested in the video end of it. Buy a video camera.

I bought a great DSLR camera that happened to have video as a side feature. If it came without video I'd have still bought the camera.

Jaynometry

Bottom line here guys:

Photographers: Nikon
Videographers: Canon

msm11

I am a DSLR beginner, and am using my (new) D7000 with my old AF Nikkor 35-135mm 1:3.5-4.5 lens. My question is about continuous autofocus. With 3" screen active, I am able to set to "AF-F" (appears at top of 3" screen), and autofocus adjusts continuously, although slowly and not very well. When I change to viewfinder, no matter what autofocus setting I use, it does not adjust continuously. When I change to AF-C, viewfinder focus is very fast and very good for photos but does not appear to work for videos.
Is this:
a. a camera problem - these things should work?
b. a problem using this camera with this lens - it will work with more modern lenses?
c. this camera is not able to continuously autofocus (AF-F) through viewfinder
d. I need to change some setting so that it can continuously autofocus through viewfinder [what setting(s)?]

my main settings:
The left side-switch on camera is set to AF.
At top of 3" screen it says "AF-F".
There is no A-M switch on the lens itself.
The lens f-stop ring is locked to f/3.5.