Sigma 105 or 150 Macro

01301johnny

Listers,

Does anyone have experience with either the Sigma 105mm or 150mm Marco lens? I am considering one of them for myself.

Thanks
Johnny

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I've got the 105 and would not change it for anything else. I've also heard great reviews for the 150...

DraganDL

The only thing you should consider is, for what kind of photography, besides for "macro", you would like to use your new lens. If it is mainly a portraiture, go for 105mm. If it would be more frequently used for sport, birds&animals etc., go for 150mm. No matter which camera you have at the moment (be it DX or full frame sensor body).

Last edited:

01301johnny

Thanks for the note.

I had a chance to get a used 105 but it was sold. Sooooo I am looking. The idea was mainly for Macro work.

Your comments equal my thoughts.
Again Thanks.

01301johnny

Hello and Thank You for the note,

Moments ago I purchased a used Nikon 105mm 2.8 AF lens from KEH. It is not ideal but will be interesting to work with.

I will upload some photo’s asap.

Best
Johnny

BackdoorArts

Not sure why it won't be ideal considering you were considering the Sigma, unless you're talking about laying out a little more money. Both lenses are incredibly sharp. You shouldn't be disappointed in the one over the other.

01301johnny

Hi,

The 105 Sigma seems to have a longer working distance at !:! which is why I was looking at the 150mm Sigma. I think the 200mm Nikon is really a one purpose lens.

The Nikon is a 52mm filter unit and I have plenty of those.

....and so it goes....

rocketman122

Hi,

The 105 Sigma seems to have a longer working distance at !:! which is why I was looking at the 150mm Sigma. I think the 200mm Nikon is really a one purpose lens.

The Nikon is a 52mm filter unit and I have plenty of those.

....and so it goes....

dont be so quick to decide. I shoot couples with the 200mm end of the 70-200 all the time (portrait or landscape modes). even full body shots its fabulous for portraits. I have the 105VR and have almost never used the macro part of it. its always for portraits. just because it says macro doesnt mean its solely for that purpose. I was considering the 150 macro just to use for portraits, but I think I may just go with the older 180mm 2.8 nikkor. think outside the box.

01301johnny

Hello,

I agree with you. The 200 would have more uses. I have a 200mm, 135mm and a 105mm prime so I was looking for a macro. I am sure there will be other uses for it.

Good snapping.

I am on Flickr : Taylored Photos

John

moony16

I've shot with a lot of Macro glass--get the Sigma 150. I've put a lot of shots with it in this thread here: The Macro Club | Page 50 | Nikon Cafe there are many other macro lenses in this thread too, including the Sigma 105--this shot is not a crop--w the Sigma 150mm

DSC_4944.jpg

Cowleystjames

dont be so quick to decide. I shoot couples with the 200mm end of the 70-200 all the time (portrait or landscape modes). even full body shots its fabulous for portraits. I have the 105VR and have almost never used the macro part of it. its always for portraits. just because it says macro doesnt mean its solely for that purpose. I was considering the 150 macro just to use for portraits, but I think I may just go with the older 180mm 2.8 nikkor. think outside the box.

I'm siding with rocketman here, I have the Sigma 150 and Nikon 105, love them both, but my 70-200 f2.8 is my favourite wedding lens, use it soooo much.
Incidentally, the Sigma is up for sale, I just don't use it now!

01301johnny

Listers,

Thanks for the reply's. I bought the Nikon 105 2.8 and have some nice shots from it. I will see how it goes with the working distance.

John

SkvLTD

Post some of those 105D shots for sure! Whenever I have some budget aside from food, I think 105D is on my list now that I don't have to worry about AF-S.

Bill16

So far it seem awesome and sharp! I'll try to post something as soon as I can! :D

Post some of those 105D shots for sure! Whenever I have some budget aside from food, I think 105D is on my list now that I don't have to worry about AF-S.

Bill16

This was a hand held shot of a door hinge. I took some other shots outside, but screwed them up by forgetting to change my settings for outside shots. So I'm afraid this shot is all I have to offer as an example of what my Nikkor AF 105mm micro f/2.8 D lens can do.
But I'm loving the lens! :D

1396979131889.jpg