HDR photography

Taylor Young

hello, im looking to try out my first HDR photos soon but i could really do with some advice for settings and just general tips on getting the best reasults. I'm using my Nikon D3000. Thanks in advanced. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Bautsch

Taylor, the D3000 does not have an "Auto Bracketing" setting which will make it a little more inconvenient in getting the shots you need for an HDR but still can be done. You will need to go the camera manual mode and use that setting to get your exposures. If you are not familiar with using the Nikon manual mode you can go the the forum for the D90 and read the thread on "Using the Manual Mode Setting for Dummies". (I don't know your level of experience in using manual mode.) It was written for the D90 but the procedures will be the same. When getting the shots you always need to change the shutter speed to get the different exposures. Do not change the aperture. Changing the aperture for any of the exposures will change the depth of field and the HDR merger will come out blurry. You also don't mention what post processing you will be using to merge the shots into an HDR. Most of them are not that difficult to use. I would recommend starting out merging three shots and get some experience there before branching out into multiple exposures. I would also recommend using a tripod until you get use to making the manual exposure changes. For an example of what a good HDR merger looks like go to my gallery and look at the Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse shot. It's a three shot merger hand held. Also post some of your shots with the EXIF data.

Last edited:

Taylor Young

Taylor, the D3000 does not have an "Auto Bracketing" setting which will make it a little more inconvenient in getting the shots you need for an HDR but still can be done. You will need to go the camera manual mode and use that setting to get your exposures. If you are not familiar with using the Nikon manual mode you can go the the forum for the D90 and read the thread on "Using the Manual Mode Setting for Dummies". (I don't know your level of experience in using manual mode.) It was written for the D90 but the procedures will be the same. When getting the shots you always need to change the shutter speed to get the different exposures. Do not change the aperture. Changing the aperture for any of the exposures will change the depth of field and the HDR merger will come out blurry. You also don't mention what post processing you will be using to merge the shots into an HDR. Most of them are not that difficult to use. I would recommend starting out merging three shots and get some experience there before branching out into multiple exposures. I would also recommend using a tripod until you get use to making the manual exposure changes. For an example of what a good HDR merger looks like go to my gallery and look at the Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse shot. It's a three shot merger hand held. Also post some of your shots with the EXIF data.

thanks soo much with that i will give it a go a but later bit of trial and error i guess, if i get any that are good i will put them up to show people how i got one, Thanks

Taylor Young

im having a bit of trouble doing this just can't seem to get the right images wonder if anyone else has anymore tips on camera settings? thanks

Joseph Bautsch

Try taking three shots using the EV exposure compensation. Put the camera on Aperture Priority and then take one shot normal exposure, then a second shot adding one stop (+1 EV), for the third shot subtract one stop (-1 EV) and see if that dosen't work for you. Putting the camera mode on Aperture Priority will keep the exposures at the same f/stop for all shots which is what you want.

PS: Be sure to return the EV setting to zero when finished. Or it will drive you nuts trying to figure out why the camera is suddenly over or under exposing everything.

Last edited:

Taylor Young

How would i achive a HDR photo as good as this?
HDRLee.jpg

HDRlilJack.jpg

HDRGlen_Boat.jpg

Joseph Bautsch

Like most things in digital photography there is a learning curve, learning to use the HDR program, learning to use the camera to make the exposures. It takes practice and patience. There are a lot of videos especially on Utube that can be of help in educating yourself in this process. We have all been where you are now, keep working at it and you will get there.

Joseph Bautsch

Good start. How many shots did you use? Looks like there should be more separation in the exposures. The shadows are still too dark and the highlights too bright. I would use a CPL filter to eliminate the glare reflections. This is especially true on objects with mirror finishes like cars. It will also help in bringing out the details you are looking for.