Outdoor Portraits - Youth Sports team Photos (Girls Soccer Team)

Mike D90

This afternoon is the outdoor shoot of the girls soccer team.

I am doing individual portraits and a team group shot.

Weather should be nice but will be slightly overcast, which is in my favor, but I wanted to go for a specific look to the photos.

I want that "sports trading card" look where they are very well lit from the front by fill light and a slightly gold or silver cast to the light.

If the overcast is filtering the sun can I bounce a flash off my silver or gold reflector and get that same fill effect?

If I have very little back lighting from the sun will this still be a good idea and maybe just go for a well lit standard portrait?

Scott Murray

I am guessing you will be using umbrellas? I am unsure what you are asking for with "sports trading card" look, I am presuming this is backlit from the sun/flash/strobe. Where will the sun be? ie is it midday sun? if so back lighting using the sun will not work. You will need to provide the lighting. I am no expert thats for sure, but have you seen the place where the shoot will take place?

Mike D90

I am guessing you will be using umbrellas? I am unsure what you are asking for with "sports trading card" look, I am presuming this is backlit from the sun/flash/strobe. Where will the sun be? ie is it midday sun? if so back lighting using the sun will not work. You will need to provide the lighting. I am no expert thats for sure, but have you seen the place where the shoot will take place?

My intent was to use the sun as a backlight and a bounce reflector panel to reflect fill to the front. However, clouds are supposed to move in around that time of day but right now we are bright and sunny.

If I lose the sun I will have to use flash for a hair light if I want it. I may just use whats available and fill for shadows. I will have my umbrellas with me but I don't think I will need to use them. I am taking my large reflector panel I made (see the tutorial) and my 5-in-1 reflector disc. I will have my flash units as well.

The look I am wanting is a type of portrait I remember from old trading cards. The subject was well lit, not high key, but well lit and had a definite fill glow to them as if the photog used a gold or silver reflector disc.