Landscape D3200 lens

paulcooper

Hi,
I'm new to photography but I know that the standard lens's supplied with this camera (the 18-55 mm) tend to be a bit low quality,so I was thinking of changing to something else as I tend to only do landscape shots but want to stay within a low(ish) budget.Would a 17-35 mm be much of an improvement? Certainly a 10-20 mm if I can pick one up at a fair price!..... Also other makes like Sigma,Tamron etc any better than Nikon's own? Anyone got any other ideas??

Thanks,
Paul.

Moab Man

Welcome.

The "kit" lenses that come with the camera are not so much low in quality as much as new people starting out haven't developed their technique and accuse the lens. With that said, yes the 17-35mm is an improvement. However, it is not a low budget lens by any means.

The Tokina 11-16mm is about $500 and is outstanding glass. However, shooting with an ultra wide angle is a whole new learning curve.

How long have you been shooting? What editing program(s) do you have and what's your skill level with those programs? Not that I need or want to know, but digital photography can really benefit from a dual skill set of photography and editing ability. Once you have a really good handle on both will you surpass the capability of the kit lens IMO.

paulcooper

Well that's two more of you that seem to like the Tokina lens 12-24 mm sounds very much what I would need,possibly still a 17-35 mm.As for editing programs I just take my shot and slap them on the PC :)

BackdoorArts

I've used the 18-105mm kit lens with my D7000 for 3 years and have absolutely no issues with the quality of the images I get with it.

That said, if I wanted a specific landscape lens and was still shooting DX I'd be all over the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8.