D700 r06 in Counter Display

kanhatiger

Not had my camera out for a while, so with some sunshine around decided to get out into the woods for some shot's, Set my camera up on the tripod with the mb10 battery and a wireless remote, using my 200-400 lens, giving you as much info as possible about my set up, went to push the shutter and it did not function, i got a code r06 in the shutter counter, read through a bit on google saying clean the connection's between the lens and the camera, if that does not work, do a reset, which i did after cleaning did not seem to work, the camera went intermitant on the shutter and is now ok, i notice when i put the shutter down half way i get an r13 showing, but can take the shutter down now and get it to fire well, has anyone else had this type of experience and if so how did you cure it, or is it a setting i am not aware of ?

Just-Clayton

This link info will explain. It mainly states the r-code is for the buffer count. When it reaches 0 it will dump pictures into your memory. I get it a lot when I shoot sports and I'm holding the shutter button down. The camera slows down due to the buffer filling up.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm not 100% sure if this couldn't be caused by a focus setting. If you setup the camera to disable shutter unless the focus is properly acquired, then this exact symptom would happen. So, I don't know about your situation, but what you can try is to replicate the problem, and , when it happens again, switch the focus to manual with the camera's focus mode switch. You would then know for sure if this was causing your problem.

Best of luck and enjoy your Nikon!

kanhatiger

I'm not 100% sure if this couldn't be caused by a focus setting. If you setup the camera to disable shutter unless the focus is properly acquired, then this exact symptom would happen. So, I don't know about your situation, but what you can try is to replicate the problem, and , when it happens again, switch the focus to manual with the camera's focus mode switch. You would then know for sure if this was causing your problem.

Best of luck and enjoy your Nikon!
Thank you Marcel, with the r06 showing i noticed the camera was trying to focus again and again, i could feel that through holding the tripod,and hearing it focusing, i could not also see a image in the playback lcd, it was stopping me seeing the images, it was just a strange one to come across.

kanhatiger

This link info will explain. It mainly states the r-code is for the buffer count. When it reaches 0 it will dump pictures into your memory. I get it a lot when I shoot sports and I'm holding the shutter button down. The camera slows down due to the buffer filling up.
Thank you Can you show the Link ?

480sparky

...... When it reaches 0 it will dump pictures into your memory. .........

The camera doesn't wait until the r reaches 0 to start writing to the card... it will start to do that immediately. What happens when it reaches 0 is the shutter can no longer be actuated until enough memory in the buffer has cleared for at least one more image. Then you will be able to take one photo, the r will go back to r0 and the shutter is locked out again.

If you start out with r9 and take two images quickly, the camera will immediately start processing the first image and get it to the card as soon as it can. The r may drop to 7, then a few seconds later increase to 8, then return to 9 if you haven't taken any more images.

How fast all this happens depends entirely on the speed of your card.

Mike D90

I believe I got this same error when I shot a recent family event indoors using a slower zoom lens, the 18-70mm D, and it was due to low light. Once I changed to the 50mm f/1.8 I got no more errors. I put the 18-70 back on and changed the exposure to allow for the low light and it worked fine.