Agree or disagree with this statement??

Eggs said:
point and shoot pics are different than SLR pictures ....

but thanks

This is quoted from a forum I administrate, where we have an off-topic photography thread. The backstory to this: This member decided to start a new photography thread to post DSLR pictures - and we merged the threads.

I'm still waiting to see how he defends his position...

AxeMan - Rick S.

Disagree.

Maybe I don't under stand the question but here is my take.

I own a D3000 and a Coolpix S6000. The S6000 takes just as good photos if not better than the D3000.

Take that to the extreme. Take a D3x photo and put it up against a Coolpix L22 and yeah, you're going to see a difference. How's that saying go? You get what you pay for.

Just want to echo what has been said many times in the forums. It not the Camera, it's what's behind the Camera.

A photo is a photo, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Curt

I disagree; I have both DSLR cameras and point and shoot cameras.
D200 & D80 DSLRs and Canon G10 & SD900. I post pictures on my gallery with all of these cameras. I never even think which camera I used; to me a great shot is a great shot.
It just depends which camera I have in my hands at the time. I guess the pictures I take with my DSLRs are more deliberate and planed shots, the ones with my point and shot are accidental (just happen to have it with me). But in the end a good picture is a good picture, taken with a DSLR or your cell phone?
If it moves someone, it’s the picture not the camera.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I'm going to say it depends. Give someone a p&s and a dslr, they're going to compose the picture the same way. In that sense the "picture" is the same.

The picture is not the same when the p&s camera fails to capture the same physical image as the DSLR because the hardware on the DSLR is just better.

Curt

I guess it depends on in which way you are looking at it, technically or from a creative stand point. It is very true the better the camera the more options you will have in terms of adjustments to improve your shot. But from a creative stand point, it’s not the camera, but rather the creative person behind it. My point and shoot camera is a Canon G10; not exactly a cheap camera, but not a DSLR. I get some great shots with it. It is easy to carry and is not intrusive…lol. This is a subject that can be pondered endlessly….lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick M

Creatively they are the same, a great shot is a great shot, but blow them both up to 16x20, they are different from a quality perspective. Even at the same pixel count, the DSLR's sensor is 10 times larger?

AxeMan - Rick S.

A true test to this would be to take the exact same photo with a p&s and a dslr and post it here, strip the EXIF data and let's see if we can spot the difference. I would do it but I don't know how to strip EXIF data, I can only read it.

jdeg, I understand the point you are trying to make, however, in the skilled hands of someone who knows what they are doing, (don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you or anyone else in this thread doesn't have skills) I don't think you're going to be able to tell. Which drives home the point that it's the person, not the camera.

If we are going to compare apples to oranges here then the same statement is going to hold true if you compare the D3x vs the D3000. One has better hardware than the other. So if I upgrade to a D3x (ROTFLMFAO) I'm going to take better pictures because of hardware, I'm sorry I can agree to that. But I can agree that the hardware will HELP me take better photos.

Curt, I agree, this can be pondered endlessly, so why don't we "Mythbuster" this thing.

Oh, what did I get myself into now, I got to learn to keep my mouth shut LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Tabaliah

I think that if you are going to use your DSLR in Programme / Auto mode, shoot JPG's and compose using live view - then the difference would come down to the quality of the camera / lens / sensor. Normally one would hope that the extra money spent on a DSLR would make it the winner, but not always the case. Being bigger, and not as handy the DSLR just might miss out on a lot of the action that the P&S is around for.

When it comes to control (as in you actually understand and are able to use the full function of your DSLR) then the DSLR would normally win, if that control makes you a better image. This becomes more obvious as the lighting conditions become less than ideal.

When it comes to artistic ability, that is entirely up to the creator. I have some really good toy camera images that I wouldn't trade for the world :)

.michael

John!

I will say I agree. It is impossible to get the perspective and bokeh with a point and shoot that you can get with a 85mm 1.4 on a D3. Go ahead try, you cant do it.

johnwartjr

I can see where some might say that.

But let's face it, there are pics that you can't take with a DSLR, you need a view camera with f/64

So, while there are some types of photography that any grouping of camera may be unable to produce, there are great pics that come from all types of cameras.

And there are people who can shoot better pics with a point and shoot than some can shoot with a D3X or a Hasselblad.

Knowing how to use what you have is key. Every type of camera has strengths and weaknesses.

John!

I can see where some might say that.
But let's face it, there are pics that you can't take with a DSLR, you need a view camera with f/64

Absolutely. Therefor I would also also agree with the statement "view camera pics are different than SLR pics..." and the difference would be even greater!

The original quote:
"point and shoot pics are different than SLR pictures ...." never said that you cant get good photos with one camera or the other, that would be absurd. It just stated that they are different, and they are.

John!

A true test to this would be to take the exact same photo with a p&s and a dslr and post it here, strip the EXIF data and let's see if we can spot the difference. I would do it but I don't know how to strip EXIF data, I can only read it....

Here it is: Exact same lighting, no flash, mounted on the same tripod at the same location, Even if you can't identify which photo comes from the DSLR, I'm sure you can see a difference.

p1080134.jpg

_nd39752.jpg

AxeMan - Rick S.

Ok, Ok. I put my foot in my mouth, Myth Busted. Got to keep my mouth shut LOL. Thanks John for doing that. I was going to do the same thing, just have not had time yet.

Browncoat

Even on the most basic level, there is a difference. DSLR cameras have sensors that can be up to 25x larger, which means they are able to process more photons (aka light). This means higher ISO levels, less grain and more detail...even in full auto mode.

jengajoh

I just want the DSLR to be better than the P&S because I have become a camera snob since I got my D90. :) And I spent a lot of money on it and a ton of time using it and learning it. I definitely feel like my pictures now are far better than the ones I took with the P&S I had, but maybe I just had a crappy P&S. I think the DSLR is different and better because of the many options one has with a DSLR. I think I am biased though...