First star shots

SteveL54

My first nighttime star shots.
I still have a long way to go....

night_9-4-2013_022a.jpg

night_9-4-2013_021a.jpg

Jonathan

Then step away from the building! You have a great sky, but you have not given the shot any central point. What lens are you using? I'm guessing 35mm.

SteveL54

Then step away from the building! You have a great sky, but you have not given the shot any central point. What lens are you using? I'm guessing 35mm.

I used the 18-55mm kit lens that came with my D5100.
I left my house in the frame to show some perspective. I have a few shot with just stars, but the just looked like a bunch of white dots in the sky. There was no central point at all. I was trying to show stars over my house. Like I said, I have a lot to learn about this.

RON_RIP

Let us know your camera settings on these shots. The stars seem pretty sharp. How would it look if you doubled your exposure time? Might be worth a try.

Jonathan

And consider star trails (search on here). If you want perspective, consider trees or other natural sh!t.

I'm figuring this out, too!

SteveL54

Let us know your camera settings on these shots. The stars seem pretty sharp. How would it look if you doubled your exposure time? Might be worth a try.

f/5.6
ISO 3200
29mm focal length
Shutter was open for 20 sec
White balance was Tungsten

SteveL54

Why tungesten? This is something I would like to learn also

Actually, I googled it before I tried in order to establish a starting point. Suggested WB was tungsten to give the stars a "blueish" appearance. I just left it on tungsten.