Peppered sensor in 100 shots

Moab Man

Not complaining and I knew what I was risking. Less than 100 shots and my sensor appears to have been attacked by a pepper shaker. When I return from Yellowstone the camera will be off to Nikon. Tried blowing it out; no luck.

Again, no worries I have two other cameras. Keep everyone updated on Nikons response.

Ironwood

Wow, that didnt take long.

Hopefully after a good clean the blower will shift them next time, that was the case with my D7100. I think initially it had a thin film of oil on the sensor, now that that is cleaned off, the blower shifts the dust most of the time.

Gary Smith

I noticed the oil spots in pics taken with my D600 most when there was clear blue sky in the background. I mostly shoot sports and did not notice the spots in those busy pics. I read that Nikon was considering replacing D600s with 610s and sent mine in for cleaning. Nikon charged $50 for the cleaning and when the 600 was returned, the repair order also indicated that the shutter mechanism had also been replaced on my out of warranty 600. Pretty good response for $50. I'll keep you posted on how this works out.

I noticed the oil spots in pics taken with my D600 most when there was clear blue sky in the background. I mostly shoot sports and did not notice the spots in those busy pics. I read that Nikon was considering replacing D600s with 610s and sent mine in for cleaning. Nikon charged $50 for the cleaning and when the 600 was returned, the repair order also indicated that the shutter mechanism had also been replaced on my out of warranty 600. Pretty good response for $50. I'll keep you posted on how this works out.

Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

PapaST

Good luck Moab. I'd keep on Nikon about that camera. Since you have others to rely on I'd send that thing back as often as it takes to have the problem fixed or a suitable replacement. Get nasty if you have to. ;)

Moab Man

I bought this camera for shooting the Milky Way. The Milky Way will peak in June-July so I plan to work this camera over and send in as often as needed to try and get it settled out by then.

Tried blowing off the sensor... no difference.

I do like the color and dynamic range the camera puts out. And I'm getting really good with the healing brush in Photoshop cleaning up all the pepper from the sensor.

BackdoorArts

Mine was the same - I shot about 300 frames the first day, and a lot of HDR, and it was everywhere. Hopefully they make it right first time in. Given that you bought it at reduced price after the 610 came out you're likely better pressing them to fix it as any offer to swap it out for a 610 will involve paying the difference between your purchase price and the current sell price on the new camera. The boat I'm in is that I bought a kit w/ 24-85mm for the price of the D600 body, so upgrading to a 610 would run me about $400-500. Not worth it for me, but thankfully I've got mine settled in.