CoolPix P100

mellie1984

Hello All,
I'm new to this website, so please stick with me. Just wondering if anyone is still using or has feedback on the Nikon Coolpix P100. I got mine in 2010 and have felt that my focus is "soft" from the very beginning. This was my first camera, so I thought I just needed to learn to work the camera. However, here I am in 2014 with "soft" photos. I'm considering getting either the Nikon D3300 or Nikon D3200, but have 2 concerns. A) I really am still the problem and the camera is fine. Although, unless I'm right on top of a subject the photo turns out out of focus, so I think this concern is unfounded. My second concern is that the D3300 or D3200 are just as bad focus wise...Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hello All,
I'm new to this website, so please stick with me. Just wondering if anyone is still using or has feedback on the Nikon Coolpix P100. I got mine in 2010 and have felt that my focus is "soft" from the very beginning. This was my first camera, so I thought I just needed to learn to work the camera. However, here I am in 2014 with "soft" photos. I'm considering getting either the Nikon D3300 or Nikon D3200, but have 2 concerns. A) I really am still the problem and the camera is fine. Although, unless I'm right on top of a subject the photo turns out out of focus, so I think this concern is unfounded. My second concern is that the D3300 or D3200 are just as bad focus wise...Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have a Coolpix L120 and it is as sharp as a tack. Never any problems with it. The D3200 is a DSLR and it is also a great camera but you will have to learn how to shoot it. If you could upload one of the photos that you think is soft it could help us see if you or the camera has a problem.

Guidelines to adding a photo to your post.

1. Resize photo to 1000px on the long side.
2. Resolution set to 72ppi (Pixels Per Inch)

These guidelines will be good for viewing on a computer but will not be good for printing. This will help safeguard your copyright.

mellie1984

Thanks for the welcome! I have filled out my profile with some information including my 365 project link.
I realize that the D3200 and D3300 are DSLR cameras, but I think I might be ready for that step up. I'm (hopefully) including two images.
4845617_aijmnqstw9_m.jpg
4866043_bhlnorsux9_m.jpg
(please let me know if these photos don't load, as I can't seem to bring up the box to change size etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
With these two photos it looks like you were in low light with the cat. And with the bird you have that same problem my wife did shooting with her Coolpix L120. It has a very long zoom but with that comes the problem of slow shutter speed for that long a lens. The longer the zoom the faster shutter speed you need. With your coolpix you have no control over that. The D3200 will have the same problems but you have a lot more control over it. You can shoot a higher ISO so you can get the shutter speed fast enough to not have motion blur. And with the indoor/low light you can shoot higher ISO also or use the built in flash.

mellie1984

Thanks for the responses! I reset the camera to factory settings (I read someplace that it might help) and the focus seems to be A LOT better. I took about 100 shots yesterday and I'm pretty pleased with them. That being said, I seem to have an issue of the photo looking better on the lcd camera screen than it does on my computer screen. Oh well....

I just upgraded to the D3200.

I think you will be very happy with the D3200. Be sure to update your profile with the new camea so when you ask questions people will know what camera you have.

Post plenty of photos so we can see how great you are doing with the new camera. My wife just upgraded for her Coolpix L120 to the D5100 and she is so excited over how great her photos are now and I know you will be too.

mellie1984

May I ask how to update my profile? I see a pencil icon indicating that I can edit every part of my profile except my camera...Apparently I'm missing something.

I think you will be very happy with the D3200. Be sure to update your profile with the new camea so when you ask questions people will know what camera you have.

Post plenty of photos so we can see how great you are doing with the new camera. My wife just upgraded for her Coolpix L120 to the D5100 and she is so excited over how great her photos are now and I know you will be too.